Review

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumboldtBlazer

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I recieved my Acer Ceramic Nitride bearing on Friday so I was fresh and excited to start the break in of my new Sirio .21 buggy engine.

Friday night I assemblem the clutch and clutchbell and bearings on the pilot shaft. Before I put the engine onto the chassis I figured time to put the air filter and glow plug in to close all holes that let dirt into the engine. I tried to put a new McCoy MC59 into the head but IT DIDNT FIT?! What gives I read the instruction manual says nothing about glow plug size. With simple deduction I figured its got to be a turbo plug(something I never used before) So project put up for the night until the LHS opened the next day.

Saturday morning. I wake up and I am anxious to see if my LHS even has a turbo glow plug. I call him and I am afraid to ask but I did and luckally he has some in stock. I drive the 30 mins to my lhs and he gives me 7 turbos on the house!!! Says he doesn't have much demand for them so he hooked it up like a tow truck! (Special shout out to Fortuna Hobbies for treating a good cust like a VIP) While I am there I get a Team Orion 1100 battery pack because I am done with akalines. I also need a new on/off switch and I pick up a smaller FM reciever the JR R200 man that things tiny. I pick up some BT First Run fuel for breaking in engines recomended by my LHS owner.

So I get home install everything and I am pumped to go. I have a little trouble with my starter box because the hole in my chassis is so small where the wheel comes up through that I really had to practice to get it to hit the flywheel. Well everytime the rubber hits the flywheel it burns rubber then stops. This brand new starter box will not even turn my engine over dooh! So I get creative and get a blowdryer and heat the block up to 120 degrees. Finally it starts! Victory! I idle a whole tank (15)mins was recommended by Sirio. I had to heat to block up until after the 6th tank and now it starts without it.

The fuel: The fule was a great idea. It kept the first tanks below 220 and even with a run-away on tank 3 due to a false peak dectect on the new battery it kept it to 220 when I was able to shut it off. I was shocked I was expecting like 300 degrees after a 5-10 WOT. I ran the whole quart and even rich the fuel made the engine pump out some serious hp. I leaned a little after tank 4 and 5 and got temps to 240.

The battery: Except for the false peak the first time I was able to run a whole quart of fuel minus 2 tanks on one charge and it still has juice left. I think I ran for about 2.5 hours straight and could easlily get another hour out of the pack!

The Acer bearings: Perfect fit and quiet quiet quiet. I was very surprised how different my buggy sounded and yes most of it was the new engine. The bearing did make a noticeable difference in sound and when I spun the clutchbell it must have spun for at least 30 seconds or more and just wanted to keep going.

Well there is my non-expert review.

The Sirio: What can I say? I have never driven an Italian engine and BOY was it an eye opening experience. Not only was this thing easy to start minus the hair dryer trick it was easy to tune and held that tune. This is my 4th engine so people out there that dont have a lot of experience dont be intemidated you can do it a high performance engine is a possiblity you are not restricted to sport pullstarts by your lack of experience you will be able to tune this engine. Ohh the POWER! I want to say the power was "INSANE" because there was so much and I want to get that point across very clear but insane is the wrong adjective because it was such a smooth powerban the throttle was very linear and predictable (this really counts in off0road racing). I can't say enough about this engine except I love it I love it I love it.

Very well written! Bravo! :clap:

Where all did you install the bearrings? In a couple of weeks I will prob be orderring some for just the crank and axle carriers.

just 2 bearings so far both in the clutchbell.