Returning to the hobby

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiL32T0N3D

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey guys, I'm not new to nitro but I will soon be new to owning a nitro, my previous experience is with my brothers Jato 3.3 and T-Maxx 2.5 he and I raced the Jato every week and he did most of the parts buying and such and i did the mechanics for the two trucks. Recently I have decided to build myself a 4X4 Revo utilizing a 3.3 chassis and motor and summit differentials (found a parts list for the conversion on the Traxxas forums).

So right now I'm just in the researching phase of the build so I figured I would start a thread to ask questions in because I know I'll have alot..

1. Is there any especially good online hobby stores that you guys use? I have been looking on ebay and although there is quite a selection there are some parts that I am having trouble locating.

2. Can someone point me in the direction of a good tool source? Maybe some kits? I'm not sure what company's are of good quality and also I'm not 100% sure of the kind of tools I will need/want to build a truck from the ground up. Any suggestions?

3. Anyone have an estimate on the power/speed difference between the Summit locking differentials and the stock Revo ones? I'm looking to use this truck for mostly heavy off road bashing use but would also like to do some occasional dirt racing so I want to make sure I optimize my setup

4. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you all so much for your time, I can't wait to get started!!

Last edited:
5. Also if someone could help me build a parts list for everything that is needed to build a truck from the ground up that would help, I know the basics like

- Chassis [Revo 3.3 chassis]
- Wheels & Tires
- Motor [decided on the 3.3 for now]
- Motor mount
- Trans [for sure want 4 wheel drive how does that effect my trans options?]

I know its alot to ask but I'm truly a nuts and bolts kinda guy so all the electronics like servos and batt. packs is almost foreign to me, not to mention that all my experience up until know was just {find broken part, give it to buddy and wait for him to get the new one then put it back together} never really learned parts names or numbers, so the best thing I know to do is ask for a list to go off of when I begin to buy parts.

6. Kinda wondering about the different options on transmissions (only need forward gear(s)) 2 speed vs. single speed also would like to pick a transmission that works with the 3.3 but would also stand up to something like a Picco .26 if i decided to make that upgrade in the future? is there something of this nature on the market?

7. Suspension options? (with stock and with Summit diff setup).

8. Also will the Summit diff's stand up to the Picco I mentioned earlier?

Again any input, ideas or advise is/are welcomed

Last edited:
9. I just read up on the center diff & brake upgrade, does this come in a kit? if not can someone help me with a parts list, or a how to thread?

11. What trans options do I have with an OS motor, would prefer one interchangeable with the 3.3 is this possible?

Thank you so much in advanced.

Last edited:
i HIGHLY suggest you get an armor plated screw kit from hexcrews.com for the revo. i have them and they are TUFF TUFF TUFF. a bit pricey but worth every penny. also go to traxxas.com and look at the exploded views for the parts. their are part numbers beside each part. just go to towerhobbies.com or amainhobbies.com and enter the item number in the search block. hope this helps bro...later

here's the link to the manuals and exploded views for the different models. just pick which ever one you plan to use...
http://www.traxxas.com/support/kb_search.php?action=artikel&cat=165&id=518

and heres the link to the armor plated screw fit...
http://www.hexcrews.com/traxxasrevo33hexheadsapconversionkit.aspx

Thank you for the reply, I never even thought of using the Traxxas exploded views! Awesome idea!

I will definitely be checking out the screw kit as well :)

Keep the replys coming guys!!!

If you plan on using the summit diffs are you going to be utilizing the T-Lock as well. If you are you need to plan out a servo location so you can use the remote locking diffs as well as a 3 channel radio(because you said you were going to have forward only.) As far as a tranny goes the revo 3.3 tranny will hold up to a picco .26 with no problem, i have had 2 picco .26's on my revo and never had any issues with the stock tranny, and i just upgraded to a picco .26 JL Red Dot and i don't foresee any issues with it thus far.

If you plan on using the summit diffs are you going to be utilizing the T-Lock as well. If you are you need to plan out a servo location so you can use the remote locking diffs as well as a 3 channel radio(because you said you were going to have forward only.) As far as a tranny goes the revo 3.3 tranny will hold up to a picco .26 with no problem, i have had 2 picco .26's on my revo and never had any issues with the stock tranny, and i just upgraded to a picco .26 JL Red Dot and i don't foresee any issues with it thus far.

If hes keeping reverse in the thing, he would need a 4 channel.. am i correct?

yeah but he said he was doing a forward only, but if he is keeping reverse he would need a 4 channel so you are 100% correct

ah, i must have missed the forward only part. none the less, this will be a cool modifcation to do

i was going to do it too, but after some research i found out that its not as easy as it seems, you have to figure out where to mount the diff switching servos and find a non binding route for the linkage, and to me it just isn't worth the hassle to do it, if you want locking diffs, just run a spool to make it like a locking diff but with that comes more problems, you can't turn under power or anything like that, so i scrapped the idea and just put thicker oil in my diffs and get the same idea but it will still "diff out" in turns

"Diff Out" ?? is that a new tech term rob ? or do you mean that the diff does is job by "Differentiating" the power to each wheel through a turn as per it's design ?

thats exaclty what i am talking about. . .i like your avatar :ponder:i wonder where you got it

Thank you for all the replys guys!

Yes I do want to run the trans with forward only and since you say the stock 3.3 trans is pretty beefy I believe that will be my trans.

Yes I am useing Summit diffs to gain the T-Lock feature I have an idea where to mount the servo but no clue on what servo to get. Can someone help me out?

being as it's only "light" duty, i would say a standard traxxas 2055 servo would do it, either that or a high torque mini servo.

Are you running 2 lockers or just one ?

You'll want the linkage to be spring loaded, kind of like the t maxx reverse linkage, to keep the servo from burning up.

You'll want the linkage to be spring loaded, kind of like the t maxx reverse linkage, to keep the servo from burning up.

I would imagine the entire setup would be crucial to have something worthwhile

2revo1maxx, if the guy is using a 3 channel radio, the 3rd channel can be set to put that channel is in an "on" or "off" mode so that the servo doesn't burn up.

The spring that you talk about to save the servo is this a black spring? surfing through the forums I see people saying "switch out to the black spring and it will help the servo" and iv been wondering what they where talking about.

And yes I will be running 2 lockers, will I then need a 4 channel radio or can I use the same channel for two things that use the same command?

Thank you again for all your replys!!!

If you want independent control of each diff locker, then you will need a 4 channel radio, if on the other hand you just want to lock or unlock both diffs at the same time, then a 3 channel radio would be fine.

Back