Reset to Factory Settings??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaeJae

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Alright guys, I guess I better just start from scratch....the slide in the carb still goes is WOT when I start my truck. I can't figure it out..and I have messed with the HSN & LSN, as well as the idle needle far too long. Can anyone tell me the factory settings?? I ASSUME my STARTING point is to have all needles fully turned CLOCKWISE (closed)??

For those of you out here in the midwest...Colorado myself, what do you have your needles set to??

Take off the air cleaner so you can look into the carb neck.
There is NO way it can go to WOT unless the slide is opened by the servo and linkage or is stuck open all the time.
Without starting the truck, check everything till you know the slide opens and closes ONLY when you want it to by working the trigger. Do NOT start it till everything works right.
You need to find out if you have a stuck linkage, a bad servo, a bad electrical connection or a Radio/Rx problem.

Take off the air cleaner so you can look into the carb neck.
There is NO way it can go to WOT unless the slide is opened by the servo and linkage or is stuck open all the time.
Without starting the truck, check everything till you know the slide opens and closes ONLY when you want it to by working the trigger. Do NOT start it till everything works right.
You need to find out if you have a stuck linkage, a bad servo, a bad electrical connection or a Radio/Rx problem.

Yep, you got something holding your throttle open.

Also we need to know what engine you have, in order to tell you the jet settings.

NO all the way clockwise is WRONG. If it runs like that (I doubt it would) it will blow up FAST.

I have the 3.3. I talked with Traxxas, and they claim that the HSN is set @ 4.5 turns out, the LSN is 1.75 turns out, and the Idle is set to about the thickness of a credit card.
I found out though, if I set my HSN to exactly 4.5 turns out, I flood the carb and it will not start. I backed it down a .25 of a turn and she starts right up. Although she is still goin WOT upon starting. I think my linkages are the problem. More so, the stantion which holds the link to the slide....I may have not lined it up properly when I took the engine out for cleaning and replacing the bell clutch. :whack:

**In ref. to having the needles ALL CLOCKWISE or CLOSED---THAT is the STARTING point in which you begin to reset to factory settings!! Then turn them OUT or OPEN to 4.5 & 1.75.

Last edited:
The factory settings are rich, for break in, and are only a starting point for retuning. They have NOTHING to do with running wide open when starting.
Reread my last post and make sure you've got it all working before attempting to start it again.

Rolex~

Call me ignorant for not paying attention to the slide position when I first bought this thing (used). When I remove the air filter and look at the slide, what position should I see it in? how about after I turn on the Rx??
Servo seems to be fine. It moves the slide in/out as I move through the whole range of the throttle. The tie rods btwn the servo to the stantion and from the stantion to the LSN/or slide I think are out of alignment.....I might have interrupted something unknowingly during removal/installation of the engine.

Thanks in Advance for the insight!! :beer:

not fully closed

the fastest way to burn ur motor is to lean it out too much. depending on the truck the high speed needle is usually around 4 full turns from closed (clockwise) and low speed needle is about 1 1/3 to 1 1/5 turns from closed and the idle needle they say is a credit card width away from closed when lookin inside the airfilter chamber. but all i can really tell you is to get info from the manufacturer for the specific r/c. p.s. it is better to have the hsn too rich, than too lean. think of the hsn as the faucet on a hose and the lsn as the hose end ( the richer it is the more fluid wants to come out the exaust, so u want to richen to a faded color smoke but lean the lsn if it sputters gas out the exaust, and vise versa)... hope this helps