Removing tires

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaterX

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I know you can bake or boil the tires and some use acetone but what I'm wanting to know is will both the tire and rim be ok. I bought a set of Losi Claws from a buddy for a spare set of tires for my xl but one of them is glued opposite the rest and I can't stand it. I just want to turn it around. Thanks for any help

The acetone trick wont work. Not only does it eat the inner foams but your rubber absorbs some of it and the tire becomes expaned and mushy of sorts. I've tried boiling but didnt have much success with that either as I ripped the sidewall trying to break the bead loose. Havent baked yet so I can't say. Good luck

I baked my wheels/tires on my Axial wraith to wieght the wheels down, works great but make sure you use an oven mit or rag, s**t is HOT!

I baked my wheels/tires on my Axial wraith to wieght the wheels down, works great but make sure you use an oven mit or rag, s**t is HOT!
Thanks for replying so quick. I just hate to have 1 out of 3 facing a different direction.
I'm confused. When you say "wieght the wheels down" are you trying to make them heavier? I just want to get a 1 tire off a wheel spin the tire around and re glue it.

The boiling methods works well and its best to let the tire/wheel cool after boiling. The glue becomes very brittle after it cools and the tire usually pops of the bead easier.
Do wear gloves…

Thanks for everyone's reply's. No question left unanswered. lol Guess ill put a good boil on the claw tonight and see if i can pop it off and get it in the same direction as the other three tire.

The boiling methods works well and its best to let the tire/wheel cool after boiling. The glue becomes very brittle after it cools and the tire usually pops of the bead easier.
Do wear gloves…

The boil worked good and i lost very little rubber on the rim. Pulled it, flipped it, re glued it. Never wanna be the guy with 1 tire facing the wrong way. So thanks for the advice!:D

Last edited:
And a year later i reply lol. I've boiled alot of tires and I've saved about 3 tires and the rest broke.
I let them boil for about 30 to 45 min. But they do become brittle. (Glue)

If your baking your tires or any r/c tire that stick out past the rim, try and find a piece of circular metal that will make contact with the entire edge of the rim, then throw it in the oven...about5-10 mins (on a baking sheet), check frequently...I went down to a local fabrication shop and asked them to cut me some steel disks, I brought them home. Welded a small block of steel just so the tire wouldn't touch the baking sheet

Back