Removing tires from wheel?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaFan

ROLL TIDE!!
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok so on my jato the anaconda tires from the factory are glued really well. I got the tire off but I have a lot of excessive rubber left on the wheel. What is the best way to get the rubber off the wheel without destoying it? I have been working on one wheel for over a hour with a knife slowly removing it but there has got to be a better way.

My method of choice - Acetone. Get a small bucket and put enough acetone in to just cover the wheels, cover, and wait about a day. Typically when I take the cover off the residual rubber simply falls off. Theres no instant removal. Some say boil or bake in water but acetone has worked best for me. Keep in mind that you will need to buy new foams if they havent been removed as the acetone will eat em up.

Doesn't acetone eat plastic though? I use acetone at work everyday and we have plastic products we have to keep the acetone away from. If it won't hurt the wheel's I will give it a try.

Last edited:
DO NOT put your wheels in Acetone!!! Unless you want them de-chromed at the same time!!! After the chrome is gone it'll eat away at the wheels themselves!!!

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-remove-super-glue-from-plastic-and-vinyl/

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

My method of choice - Acetone. Get a small bucket and put enough acetone in to just cover the wheels, cover, and wait about a day. Typically when I take the cover off the residual rubber simply falls off. Theres no instant removal. Some say boil or bake in water but acetone has worked best for me. Keep in mind that you will need to buy new foams if they havent been removed as the acetone will eat em up.

Bad bad BAD advice! Shame on you! Now go stand in the corner till Rolex comes in with his Banstick. Or Alpine with his taser. Same effect, just one leaves you twitching while we laugh and the other one just makes you leave...

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 PM ----------

Doesn't acetone eat plastic though? I use acetone at work everyday and we have plastic products we have to keep the acetone away from. If it won't hurt the wheel's I will give it a try.

Wait, first you thank him and say you will try it them you edit your comment and say "it eats plastic". Me smells somthimg here, and its not Rolex.

Last edited:
Yeah man. If you use acetone, the idea is to hang the wheels above the solution, close bucket and let the fumes do the work.

DO NOT put your wheels in Acetone!!! Unless you want them de-chromed at the same time!!! After the chrome is gone it'll eat away at the wheels themselves!!!

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-remove-super-glue-from-plastic-and-vinyl/

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

Bad bad BAD advice! Shame on you! Now go stand in the corner till Rolex comes in with his Banstick. Or Alpine with his taser. Same effect, just one leaves you twitching while we laugh and the other one just makes you leave...

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 PM ----------

Wait, first you thank him and say you will try it them you edit your comment and say "it eats plastic". Me smells somthimg here, and its not Rolex.

I did thank him and I still do thank him but after I thought about it for a sec I remembered acetone eats plastic. Why are you being a jerk? I edited my post before anybody else commented on this thread. If you don't have helpful advice or something useful please don't comment in my threads I don't have time for childish drama!

If you care about the chrome, don't get acetone on the chrome. If you don't... then dunk them in acetone for 6+ hours. Will dissolve the glue. I did it with many tires years ago, but it ruins the foams.

You can also buy an acetone gel at the hobby shop. Is more laborious, but puts the acetone where you want it. It doesn't "soak in" well, so you have to keep applying it as it melts the glue. I want to say I used this stuff once: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCX60&P=7 It was the gel.

Status
Not open for further replies.