Removing the Sleeve.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohmygahitscoby

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey everyone, I need to take out the sleeve on my Picco .26 but it won't budge. I tried the zip-tie trick, didn't work. It basically cut it like scissors. Any suggestions? LMK. Thanks!

Heat the engine up to around 200-250F, it helps sometimes. Use oven mitts!

I tried heating it up with a hair-dryer then the zip-tie method, didn't budge. It's almost like the sleeve is super-glued on or something.

Is it safe to actually bake the engine and take it out the sleeve while it's expanded?

Last edited:
I tried heating it up with a hair-dryer then the zip-tie method, didn't budge. It's almost like the sleeve is super-glued on or something.

Is it safe to actually bake the engine and take it out the sleeve while it's expanded?

Yes it is, but first, remove any plastic parts, clutch springs, etc. I personally use a heat gun (a hair dryer doesn't get nearly hot enough). You can buy a heat gun for under 20 bucks at harbor freight. I've used this one before with great results:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=35776

I can't tell you how many uses I've found for a heat gun. Before we get started let me tell you, the heat gun I have in my home shop on high setting, will catch stuff on fire if you point it at....stuff. SAFETY FIRST!!!

OK you may have to get the block to about 300° and just concentrate the heat around the outside of the block where the sleeve is, don't blow heat down into the sleeve it's self. You wanna expand the block, not the sleeve.

Now, whether you use a heat gun or your oven, USE GLOVES!!! I use a cheap pair of welding gloves that you can buy at harbor freight also. If you do use your oven, do around 350-400° for about 10 minutes. Check the temp with your temp gun (you DO have one, right?;)). Be prepared with your zipties and all the "ziptie trick" stuff. Chances are, the sleeve isn't just gonna drop out on it's own.

Now go DO IT!!!

:)***individual results may vary***:)

Last edited:
Oh okay. Thanks! Yeah, I do have a temp gun, but it's low quality, so I'm probably gonna go out and get a new one anyways. I'll try this ASAP :D.

I crushed mine with a hammer. Popped right out. Of course the engine was completely dead though.

this works best what i do is take the back plate of the engine and get a screw driver or something and get some rag and rap it around the screw driver make sure the rag can go up into the engine from the back plate and then i tap the sleeve from inside the engine it dose work but i did not use a rag i just hit it out but thats what i do ;)

That kinda seems like it'll ruin the bottom of the sleeve since it's in so tight. I was at a fambam party earlier and luckily my uncle had a temp gun, so he's bringing it over tomorrow so we can get the sleeve out.

I've tried that so many times but never worked think about it if u heat the hole engine up the hole engine will ex span and when it cools down to its norma;) size

Well you're suppose to expand the case so that it gives more space to remove the sleeve. It's suppose to go back to normal size when you put it back. I already have the head and backplate off.

Sorry to bump guys, but will BOILING also do the trick? My uncle hasn't come with the heat gun yet, but I do have a stove :D.

You mean like one that sends out a flame? Yeah, I got something similar. It's the basic one used for cooking, but I think it'll do the trick. Isn't kinda dangerous to do that though since there may be some nitro inside the engine. Nitro+Flame=goodbye?

ARO will disperse any fuel enough that it won't flame up.

I was kiding, although it may work as it would attatck it from the outside in. Keep in mind i've never tried it, but I have used a tiger torch hehehe. now i've got 1 eyebrow, and no leg or arm hairs.

Put it in the oven.

You should be sure that the engine is stripped and put it in the over like scrogg said. I heat up parts all the time to take them apart, this is also a great method to use when you need to remove bearings that are stuck on something, or in a block.

I've tried that so many times but never worked think about it if u heat the hole engine up the hole engine will ex span and when it cools down to its norma;) size

Because of the ABC construction of a nitro engine, the metals inside the engine heat up at different rates, thus allowing the block to slightly expand before the sleeve does, same with bearings, allowing you to easily remove them.

I think it's a TERRIBLE idea to tell guys on the internet to stick a screwdriver inside their block and hit it with a hammer. While it probably doesn't matter to you that you're block is marred or scratched up on the inside, it does matter to most people and the potentital is there for some serious damage by someone following your advice.

I'm not stating the above in a mean way or calling you out, just warning you to be careful with statements like that because although you might have no intentions of hurting the engine, if they don't do exactly as you're thinking they will, they could destroy a perfectly good engine.

screwdriver in your block

i agree with him, not only is there a chance that you damage your block, i might fatigue it to the point it stress fractures or explodes when you run it again.

The idea is to heat the engine case more then the sleeve. The oven method wont do this and since the case is aluminum and the sleeve is brass it will cool faster then the sleeve which defeats your purpose. I would use a heat gun on just the case. concentrate the heat near the base of the case. Try inserting something a little sturdier then a zip-tie. A small piece of wood that just fits in a port it wont sheer as easy but soft enough it wont damage the sleeve and piston.

Last edited:
Popsicle sticks work nicely.