Reliable $100-$200 21-26 BB Pull-start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm bidding on an XTM 24.7 on the bay, but I was curious what a decent everyday basher engine is. I've had OS 21 RG's, but I've seen too many blow up for no reason (including my own recently). They were reliable until they grenaded...

I'm not looking for extreme powerhouses as this is going into a revo. The 21RG was enough power and it's not that strong of an engine. It would go as fast as I need to and still pull wheelies with the 3.3 chassis.

I don't want to spend a lot of dough, but I also don't want to buy junk. Considering the only engines I really see are my own, I don't have the luxury of being around other guys with other engines.

I have an axial 28 sitting on the shelf, but I have a feeling it has too much grunt for a revo or at least for what I want out of a revo. It will go into my savage one day when the SH28 poops out.

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome. Just keep in mind I am a cheap SOB with nobody to impress but myself. As long as it holds a tune, has as much power as my RG and has a 5+ gallon possible life, I'm all ears.

I heard the OS .18 are a good drop in. If you are tryin to get away from the OS a ofna .26 is a good choice (price and power)

Put the Axial in it and remember throttle control LOL

zxdfc Z axial. I'm putting 1 in my maxx. hope to have pics up soon

Well olds I run a XTM .247 in my Cyber-maxx and love it . Its got about 5 gallons on it now and it still runs strong . In fact I liked it soo much I bought another one . The 6 port version cost me 209.99 canadian at the time . I'm sure you can get it alot cheaper down there .

Well... I'm just looking for a mild mannered engine. I know I could use the Axial or an LRP28 or an OS30, but what I was asking about was a mild mannered engine. Not something I'd have to tune so rich that it barely runs or something that I can't run WOT without blowing the trans/diffs apart... I haven't had a lot of engines.

I have only seen a SH28, Axial 28, OS21RG, Power House 26, Omega 21 and a XTM 24.7.

Out of those, I'm tired of the guessing game with the RG, whether it will grenade itself or not, the 28's have to much power, the powerhouse is too tall, the omega sucked in general for tuning... that leaves the 24.7. I saw one of those in a savage that was geared pretty low and it seemed a bit more powerful than the 21RG, but not nearly as powerful as the Axial or SH.

Thanks for the info phx123. I can buy either the Pro or non-pro online for $129.99 USD. Probably a little cheaper on eBay if I can find them. I'm looking at a used one right now. Not a whole lot of money on the line...

I also thought about the dynamite engines like the Mach26. But I remember all the issues people had when they ran those in the savy's. Something about a shim in the engine would grind up and destroy the engine...

Last edited:
the 24.7 is the engine you are looking for. It is stronger then the rg, yet it isn't killer stupid strong. It lasts a long time and its cheap. And if you find that it is not quiet strong enough go with the 6 port (pro) its got a bit more power and a bigger head. It runs just as good and just as reliably as the regular 24.7.

I'm looking for used because it's winter and cold. Not very desirable for breaking a engine in. That's also the reason I'm not attempting to run the axial as it only has about 1/2 gallon through it and needs more warm day running to wear it in properly. If it was summer or warmer, I'd at least give it a go... I have spare diffs/axles in a parts bin... but I think it would be a waste of power for what I do.

Thanks for the info vbgagnon. Any thoughts on the mach? I believe it's similar to the 24.7... but I'm probably wrong.

Well... I'm almost to the point of breaking down and installing the Axial just because my pipe/header showed up for the revo.

For those that are interested, the duratrax warhead header/pipe fits on there nicely with a wee bit of bending the top of the exhaust lays almost parallel with the top of the throttle servo box. There is also plenty of clearance on the header in reference to the pull-start and the side of the NewEra BB mount.

But, the axial is too tall for my taste. It sits about 1/8" above the stock roll bar. I'm sure I could bend some steel bar and replace my current roll bars with something that has an arc in it to compensate, but it will still be awfully close to being flush. That means if I land on the roof with any force, the engine, engine bay and engine mount is going to take a hit. I'm a basher... I can't live with that looming over me. I don't want to have to be careful while I'm bashing or what's the point?

Anyone know anything about the Aftershock engine? It looks to be kind of short and not expensive to try.

I think the mach is compareable to the pro, but i've never seen one run so I can't comment on that.

olds it will depend on the heat sink. The 24.7 comes with a few different heat sinks, do you have a pic of the one you got?

I think you made the right choice on engines. The 24.7 is a great motor. It always starts right up and puts out nice power, but not uncontrollable. Should be plenty for a Revo.

This one:
3cf6_1_b.jpg

Here's the link to the sale just in case the image doesn't allow for hot linking:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110095539381

It looks to be comparable to the 21RG. But looks are rarely deceiving.

Anyone have this engine? If so, could I possibly get a measurement from the bottom of the motor mount flange to the top of the head? Then I can make up some new roll bars just in case...

Thanks in advance.

BTW, thanks for the info AC48. Makes me feel a little better. I thought that was a decent engine as far as tuning and reliability goes. Although, I'm not looking forward to breaking it in in cold weather... I need to get some hand warmer packs to wrap the head so it doesn't cool to fast. I did that with an OS18 CV-R a few winters ago and the packs kept the engine from falling below 75F when it was 30F outside.

Last edited:
Yea, you got the biggest heat sink. This is good and bad news. The bad news is thats a pretty damn big heat sink. Its not crazy tall, but its decently tall and pretty fat too. Good news is the engine runs best with that heat sink for obvious reasons.

Either way its a great engine. I ran mine into the dirt literally, then cleaned it out and it ran as good as new. One of the most reliable engines I've ever owned. Very easy to tune too.

Oh, and if that heat sink is too big, I think I have a spare smaller one that is much shorter than that one laying around that I could send you. It won't cool as good, and is basically a crappy heat sink, but its shorter I am pretty sure haha.

cool! sounds like a pretty decent engine for the money. I think I've just found the engine i need. Anyone know the specs of this engine? (amount of ports, bhp etc etc)

You can download the manual here: http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/146027.asp

24.7 SPECIFICATIONS:

* Displacement: 24.7ci
* Bore: 17.5mm
* Stroke: 16.75mm
* Top RPM: 28,000
* Power: 2.6hp
* Weight: 13.23oz

This is for the "pro" version:
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/146030.asp
# 24.7 6 Port Pro Specs: RPM: 31,000
# HP: 2.75
# Disp: 4.02cc
# Bore: 17.5mm
# Stroke: 16.75mm
# Shaft: SG Style
# Carb: 2 Needle, Slide
# Piston: ABC
# Includes Head Button for Standard Plug
# Pull Starter Installed

Oh, and if that heat sink is too big, I think I have a spare smaller one that is much shorter than that one laying around that I could send you. It won't cool as good, and is basically a crappy heat sink, but its shorter I am pretty sure haha.

If you can find it and get it shipped, I'll buy it off you for a reasonable price. I wouldn't mind having the crappy head for cooler weather running anyway. It would make it easier to break the engine in at 40F with a smaller head regardless if the other one fits ok or not.

LMK. If at all possible, I'd like to get it by Friday from you. If not, no biggy.

Back