Redcat Volcano EPX gear question.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggman100

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have what i think is a simple question about a brushed Redcat Volcano. The spur gear is a 64T, and since Redcat had to go and make their own, single, special spur gear, which i am pretty much stuck with, and, what i am looking for is more acceleration and maybe more tire spin in loose dirt, would i go up or down on the pinion gear?

Right now i have it at 64/19, and it started stock at 64/17, and the 19T didnt seem to make much of a change. The Volcano uses a .6 mod gear, which would be fine IF they also made larger or smaller spur gears, or, i could use one from another brand, but, due to how they are designed (they pretty much go on the same way most wheel hubs do, as in, they have a shaft with a pin that the spur gear slides on, and a nut and washer on the opposite side to hold it together.

The same way most 12mm 1/10 wheels go on), and, as of yet, i haven't found anyone who makes a bigger or smaller spur so that i could see if that would make a difference, so, I'm effectively stuck with strictly changing pinions, but, there again, I'm a bit stuck, as noone makes a set of .6 pinions, and they have to be bought individually at around $7 each, so it can get expensive quick just trying to make it just fast enough to decently climb a hill or maybe a small jump without bogging.

Just to see what would happen, i put my spare Racers Edge wizard ESC and BL motor in it, and, either I'm really not setting the mesh right, i have the wrong pitch steel spur, or, the brass pinions are too weak against the steel spur, but, in 30 minutes, i have completely stripped 2 19T pinions.

Back