Redcat Everest 10 questions, 3s LiPo?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan B.

Area man
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
Howdy everyone. My nephew got a used Everest 10 that needs some TLC. Came with bent shocks, broken suspension pieces, etc. I’m rebuilding/fixing it for him as a Christmas bonus. The main question I have is what kind of batteries can you run? The ESC says it’s good for 3s Lipo but it’s only 45amps, so I’m a little skeptical. I can’t find any specs on the motor, even in their manual, so I don’t know what that even is apart from being a pretty high-turn brushed motor. It came with a Redcat NiMH battery with banana plugs and a basic charger. The jumpers on the ESC can be set to Lipo. My experience is with brushless SCT’s and desert buggies up to 8s, and I’m totally new to the whole brushed crawler game.
Anybody run 3s in their Everest 10, and if so was it a total smoke show?
Thanks!

I think the stock motor is a 54T. I haven't run mine a lot but so far it has done fine on 3S.
98060 54 Turn RC540 Brushed Motor w/ 14T Pinion Gear
IMG_4152-M.jpg

I think the stock motor is a 54T. I haven't run mine a lot but so far it has done fine on 3S.
98060 54 Turn RC540 Brushed Motor w/ 14T Pinion Gear
IMG_4152-M.jpg
Ok thanks, we’ll give it a try! I have multiple 2s and 3s packs, I just ordered a banana plug to Deans adapter. I guess if anything fries we can upgrade. The electronics for these things are so inexpensive, that’s a nice bonus. My nephew (sort of) understands it’s a crawler, but he still wants it a bit faster, so maybe bone stock on 3s will satisfy him. Thanks again!

A 54t brushed motor isn't going to pull that much current through the ESC, so you should be fine.

A 54t brushed motor isn't going to pull that much current through the ESC, so you should be fine.
Thanks for the response. Can a 54 wound 540 handle a 3s? I wasn’t sure. The ESC actually says 2 or 3s LiPo, but I was wondering about the motor. Any insight as to replacing the motor with a higher turned one, maybe in the high 20’s? I’d like to strike a balance between still being able to crawl halfway decently and a little more speed. Thanks again!

Typically, if the motor doesn't get above 160°F, you can run it. So keep an infrared temp gun handy.