Redcat Everest 10 losing power

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notorious J

DESTROYER OF RC PLASTIC PARTS!
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
So I have an Everest 10 that's about a year and a half old, but as of late it seems to have developed an issue that I can't figure out. Not sure if it's an esc or motor issue. I run it on a 3s lipo and I always have. I have switched the plug to make sure the configuration is for lipo from day one. When it was new, it would scale walls and stairs with ease from a dead stop. Lately, when starting with the front tires against an obstacle, it starts to move and then shuts down. After a few seconds without touching anything, it starts up again, but moves along at what seems to be 25% power. Switch it off than on again, full power untill you hit a new obstacle. Battery is charged to more than half capacity, and switching to a different battery nets the same result. Same applies if switching back to Nicad/Nimh (whichever it came with). Are the esc or motor pooched? I have run it through water as I've seen many crawlers do, and it ran fine in the beginning when I did. This all started in the fall of 2021, but since I don't drive it that much, I never payed much attention. It's still got a stock brushed motor and Hexfly esc, so I just need to know if/what I should consider replacing. I have some spare Arrma BLX 100 esc's lying around, but I'm not sure that they will offer the same experience when mated to a brushed motor in a crawler. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

It sounds like you're losing the motor. Those motors are durable for the most part and I believe you can replace it for cheap on the Redcat site.
That BLX won't work with a brushless motor fwiw.

It sounds like you're losing the motor. Those motors are durable for the most part and I believe you can replace it for cheap on the Redcat site.
Thanks for that. I guess it's possible it got submerged one too many times, but I thought brushed motors could handle it better. From your experience, is there anything I should do after getting that motor wet that might help increase it's longevity? Drying it out is always step one, but maybe something else that guarantees the brushes or internals don't wear out prematurely?

I use an old hair dryer or sometimes a battery leaf blower to dry things out.
I'm a RC newcomer but I've made enough mistakes for a veteran lol. First and foremost,dry that stuff out and save $$$ on motors and ESCs.

Turns out the motor is fine. Charged up a good NimH battery, switched the plug on the esc again, and everything seems to be fine. Not sure if the esc is having a hard time detecting a lipo or possibly just hitting lvc for no reason, but as long as it runs, that's all I care about. Thanks for the tips.

So I am kinda having the same issue but I turn it on it runs then slows down then just stops working but steering still works then I unplug battery plug back I then it does the same thing
I use an old hair dryer or sometimes a battery leaf blower to dry things out.
I'm a RC newcomer but I've made enough mistakes for a veteran lol. First and foremost,dry that stuff out and save $$$ on motors and ESCs
But like if I just hold my chasis and it's not even on an obstacle just in mid air it still does that so are you sure it's the motor ?

A nice drop in motor would be an Axial 27T. It'll let you crawl and give you some wheel speed.
A better option would be a 1080esc with a Holmes hobby crawl master sport motor.

Back