Redcat Blackout spur in Volcano.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggman100

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Has anyone tried the Redcat Blackout spur in a volcano? The reason i ask is because i have a Volcano i want to make BL, and i already have 4 cheap BL setups i picked up, but, they all have 5mm shafts, and i can't seem to find a mod 0.6 set for the 5mm shaft anywhere. Hot Racing makes single gears, but, the cheapest i have found are $10 each, so, my thought was, swap the Blackout spur into the Volcano if it will work, since i already have a pile of 5mm 32p pinions to use, but, since I'm not sure if it will work or not, i figured i would see if anyone has tried it before. Another idea i had was try and drill out the 3mm shaft gears i have so that they fit the 5mm shaft, but I'm not sure if that would make them weaker, or if there is even enough material to do that and still make them useable. Someone suggested a Tamiya swap, but then they didnt give me any other info on it, and, looking online, i did find something about the TB-04, but then i couldnt find the needed parts for that car to do the swap with.

Last edited:
The gears are slightly different but you can probably make it work with some shimming. More importantly is the Blackout spur gear is plastic which probably won't hold up as well as the metal Volcano spur gear.

Brian

The gears are slightly different but you can probably make it work with some shimming. More importantly is the Blackout spur gear is plastic which probably won't hold up as well as the metal Volcano spur gear.

Brian
My Volcano doesn't have a metal gear. I didnt even know they made a metal gear for the electric versions. I thought that was only for the nitro versions.

They make a metal gear for the electric version - Redcat 11184 64T .6 Mod Steel Spur Gear

Some are also adapting this metal spur gear to the Blackout for better durability. It fits but requires a washer or two.

Brian
I found a Blackout spur for $4, so once it gets here, I'm gonna see if it fits and works. I also ordered a set of 3.5mm to 4mm bullet conectors, just to give me more options. I predict though, since my ultimate goal is to swap in a 3660 3800KV motor, if it fits, that i am going to spectacularly destroy parts every time i run it. I put that same setup, with a 60A ESC, in a Force RC Warhawk, and the driveshaft twisted and snapped in 4 places the first run.

Brian
I ordered the 55T Blackout spur, and found that it is way too big to fit in the Volcano. It hits the aluminum guard that goes across the top of the chassis, as well as the bottom of the chassis, and by the time you modified it enough to fit the spur, the chassis would be too weak, so, i ended up with a 3600 KV (at least, thats what i think it is, since i couldnt seem to find any specs on the RE Pro2), that i took from a destroyed Racers Edge Pro2 i had, and put that in the Volcano (which isnt truly a Volcano anymore, since i swapped parts and turned it into a monster Redcat Tornado), along with a cheap GoolRC 60A ESC, and in 24 degree weather, only managed so far to lose a screw from the front steering knuckle. Tomorrow is supposed to be nicer, so I'm gonna run a couple batteries through it and see what breaks.

I know others have installed the Volcano metal spur gear in the Blackout but it does take a washer or two to take up the slack and it changes the gear ratio for a lot more top speed. Good to know that you can't swap the other way around with a Blackout spur gear in a Volcano.

Brian

Back