Recommend A 3-Shoe Clutch.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

visioneer_one

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
After a day of bashing I think I've melted my (stock) clutch shoes. Upon reflection they have probably been slipping for a while - I seem to recall the clutchbell being very hot after runs, and I sometimes had problems with the truck not shifting.

Anyway. I'm trying to find a good three-shoe clutch / flywheel combo. Any recommendations?

My setup BTW - XTM 24.7, RRP slipper kit w/ 63T metal ring & 22T clutchbell.

Might want to try a Mugen 3 shoe! Just another option. You need to get rid of that 1/10 style clutch bell, and step up to the 1/8. You'll see a world of difference!!

Woody

Hey woody, you wouldn't happen to have a parts list to do this would you? Like what spur would you use? Where can you find the right mugen 3 shoe? I don't have a shop near me that sells mugen stuff, so it's kind of hard to figure out what will work since you can't look at it first.

I considered the GARC clutch setup - until I noticed it was out of stock.

Woody - If I go the Mugen route I'd have to replace my existing clutchbell and spur setup... what "world of difference" will I realize by making that change?

Stumbled across this last night. Has anyone tried that product with a .21-sized motor?

Another three-shoe option - this one from Integy.

http://integy.automated-shops.com/c...p_catid=29&sid=4wSJJh0-AHFL5Mb-21104142626.d1

Is this comparable with the setup from GARC?

I had the integy 2 al shoes and they melted so bad that it was completely destroyed in one outing... not so sure I'd recommend this one either,but maybe i had something wrong?

MIP shoes do exceptionally well too, and you dont ahve to buy another flywheel, just pu them on the stock one. i like them becasue they have differetn settings, depending on trackconditions. even on the more gradual setting, my epic18 powered maxx was whipping wheelies out before i was even done breaking it in. i have never even tried it on the quicker engagement hole settign. as a plus, they are only 12$

Got tired of waiting on GARC to get their clutches in stock, so I decided to throw in another set of stock shoes just to keep running.

Fired the truck up. Zeeeeeee! No movement. WTF.

Realized the actual problem - the flywheel was rotating freely on the drive collet. Broke out the Dremel and took a few thousandths off the top edge of the collet, and roughened all the mating surfaces with some 150-grit.

Bolted everything back together, fired it up.

Got one run out of it before the flywheel loosened up again. This time it looks like the either the flywheel or the drive collet have worn some, as the flywheel cannot be tightened anymore.

>Sod it. A new collet is on order, along with a 3-shoe clutch kit from Integy.

Did you put shims behind the collet before tightening everything down? I've been doing that instead of depending on the collet to grab on it's own. I've asked others what they did and this is how I found that shims are almost necessary to get it to tighten down on a consistent basis.

No shims.

It appears that the flywheel has worn enough that the clutch nut is coming into contact with the collet.

I'll keep an eye on that when the new parts arrive.

Yeah, that's pretty bad... I don't know if using shims is the right way, but it works well. I never have a flywheel spin loose on me.

Originally posted by olds97_lss
Hey woody, you wouldn't happen to have a parts list to do this would you? Like what spur would you use? Where can you find the right mugen 3 shoe? I don't have a shop near me that sells mugen stuff, so it's kind of hard to figure out what will work since you can't look at it first.

I know of OFNA parts that work well: 3 shoe clutch kit 38283, and clutch bell 19354 (14 t) and 19355 (15t). These parts work well with the RC Solutions tool steel spur gear

http://www.rc-solutions.com/products/product_details.php?id=46&CID=TRAXXAS

The 1/8 clutch and flywheel wont fit on a traxxas 2.5 angine, it needs a big block and extended chassis, like this.

1038P1020626-med.JPG

I forgot your the rep for RC-Solutions... That spur does look pretty good. I currently run RRP's 72t steel spur with thier 21t cb.

Just got my second set of skids for my little maxx. Man I don't know what I did before I got those things!

I checked tower for the parts you recommended to go with this spur and I can't find exact matches, but I did find the following... do you know if this stuff will work instead?

Clutch Bell

Flywheel Kit

I don't know anything about 1/8 scale stuff since all I have is 2 maxx's. One that's a 21 and one that isn't.

Should have bought a savage...

Thanks.

Ofna has two or three different lines of clutch bells and flywheels, the difference is slightly different depth of the bells and thickness of the flywheels. If you cross mix the bell line with the flywheel line, the worst that will happen is you need more or less shims. That cb should work, but that fly wheel/clutch kit is for a standard shaft engine.

The best thing to do is call nitro house for the part numbers I mentioned, they know every OFNA part number by heart 800-928-0304.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by scottm

That is wierd, that bug eyed thing is not in my post! The number is 1-800-928-0304

Wow, it has something to do with the number combo - 8009280304.

8 - 0 without spaces is the VB code 8-0

LOL Ill see if WoodiE will change it.
Funny its the first time this has come up