rebuilt 3.3 help.....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chowmanstoys

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i put in a new piston/sleeve,cleaned engine,put all back together,and NOTHING,wont start,has new plug,tuns over, for a bit then nothing, wait a bit, try againg,turns over for a bit, nothing
battery is good and charged,
what could be wrong???
i wanna break in , and start to have some fun again

even though i have only 2 had 3, 3.3, iam not an expert on 3.3s. my guess is that you put the piston in backwards. dumb me i can't remember what way the piston goes in. but i know my friends here will know how it goes in. good luck.

The open side of the skirt goes towards the crank, that way at TDC it doesn't open on the bottom side of the exhaust port. The rod also has a small hole drilled just above the bottom bearing, that has to face the crank as well so it can get lubrication between the crank pin and bearing. (From Robin at extreme rc mods )

I'm sure thats what i have done
if it is in wrong, will it turn over for few sec and then not ?
like its fludding?

anybody have any other info for me??

I'm sure thats what i have done
if it is in wrong, will it turn over for few sec and then not ?
like its fludding?

anybody have any other info for me??

A piston installed backwards on the 3.3 will not cause the issue you are having. It will however cause the engine to not run correctly when started and you should check to be sure it is installed correctly before going any farther.

Sounds like you just have tight pinch & compression and the cheesy start is struggling to turn the engine.
Pre-heat the engine with a hairdryer/heat gun before starting it to relieve some pinch. It will make it easier for the cheesy start to turn the engine and it is easier on the engine internals when starting a fresh engine.
You can also slightly loosen the glow plug to relieve some compression and then tighten it back down once the engine starts.

A piston installed backwards on the 3.3 will not cause the issue you are having. It will however cause the engine to not run correctly when started and you should check to be sure it is installed correctly before going any farther.

Sounds like you just have tight pinch & compression and the cheesy start is struggling to turn the engine.
Pre-heat the engine with a hairdryer/heat gun before starting it to relieve some pinch. It will make it easier for the cheesy start to turn the engine and it is easier on the engine internals when starting a fresh engine.
You can also slightly loosen the glow plug to relieve some compression and then tighten it back down once the engine starts.

+one on what snook said about he hairdryer ! i just broke in 2.5r and had to use a hairdryer to heat it up!

i can turn engine over by hand, turning it over is not problem,i dont think
i used the ez wand ,it turns over, and then dies,nothing, like it is flooded, i have to wait a few before i can try starting again.and then same thing will happen

i can turn engine over by hand, turning it over is not problem,i dont think
i used the ez wand ,it turns over, and then dies,nothing, like it is flooded, i have to wait a few before i can try starting again.and then same thing will happen

can you see fuel in the line going to the carb?

had a look at my carb, found a slight crack where the hp needle screws into carb
could this be my problem?

---------- Post added at 7:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:19 PM ----------

why will it turn over and then not?
i have to wait a few sec before restating??????

dought it, probably wouldnt run or not run good. Did u try the hair dryer- heat gun? I beleieve if the wand is stressed from turning over a tight or flooded engine it will cut power so it wont keep turning over. The carb still has to be replaced b4 id even try to run it.

put new carb on..........
no different.............
same thing, turns over,then nothing..........
heat did nothing too

anybody want a tmaxx?????????????????

put new carb on..........
no different.............
same thing, turns over,then nothing..........
heat did nothing too

anybody want a tmaxx?????????????????

How hot are you getting it? How are you heating it up?

if you put your finger over the exhaust and hit your ez start, can you see fuel going to the carb? what type of glow plug are you using ? are you using an igniter , or the blue wire on the glow plug? could be a ground issue with your yellow wire, not having a good ground.

i took all apart,piston sticks at the top of sleeve.
i must not have heated it enough..
could i have done any damage to new parts????
looked ok?????
also, should i go with glow warmer or stick with ez start???

Go with a glow warmer, the EZ start wands are known for going bad and not lighting the plug.

Go with a glow warmer, the EZ start wands are known for going bad and not lighting the plug.

+1 !

if you go with an igniter, you can get rid of the blue and yellow wire. and just use the ez start to turn over the motor! your battery in your wand will last longer as it's not being used to heat the plug. that's the set up i use and it works great !

i dont think you have done any damage to your new parts !

i rebuilt a 3.3 a while ago and i gotta say its a pain to get runnin good took it out for another run last weekennd and it would run ok but then would lean out randomly and got to about 340f before i shut it down I've replaced everything resealed everything and still wont run the best
one thought is maybe your fuel as i noticed that when it was running with some other fuel it smoking like crazy but still over heating but when i first built the truck and did some testing and tuning it was ok run at bout 220f and both fuels were 15% i think mine was just stored better than my cousins who is now the owner of the engine and truck

long strory short try new fuel

put some heat to her and she fired right up
ran i bit hot i think
should new enegines run hot?
how can i cool her down?

Richen up the the needles & put some holes in the bodies windshield.