Rebuild stock engine vs. Buy new

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitbull14218

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I would make a poll if i could. Basically i wanted to see who rebuilds stock motors for the vehicles or who just goes and buys a new after market one?

If you could pretend this is a poll and just respond.

example: Rebuilt stock engine + reason (ex. ran very good)

example: Bought new engine + reason (ex. old engine wasn't fast enough)

My savage 25 I'm currently working on sealing the engine, waiting for RTV to dry, i bought my truck used so i dont know how it is supposed to run when at optimum performance, i dont know if this engine was ever a good stock engine to begin with. Most likely I'm just going to buy a new engine and not a rebuild kit.

Thanks.

With the lifetime warranty Redcat offers on their motors, I would just pay them half of what the new motor cost and call it a day. I am not a serious racer and don't have expensive rc vehicles. It will only cast me about $50.00 to get a new motor from them.

I don't waste time with rebuilding it because it would cost me more to rebuild it then it would to buy and new one through traxxas.

For a stock RTR engine, I'd at most get the sleeve re-pinched for $25. The one engine I bought a piston/sleeve for still ran like poo after wards... but I'm fairly certain that was due to me not having any idea what "break-in" was. Wasn't until a lot of time later that I learned that.

Regardless, I get my engines pinched if the parts are still good. Carb slides, OWB's, con-rods and bearings wear. If I'm going to be willing to shell out the money for a new P/S, then I have to weigh that against the cost of those other parts. Which usually pushes me close to the cost of a brand new engine.

So, I re-pinch until I can't re-pinch anymore, then call it a day and get a new engine.

The 25 you have is not a RPM monster or power monster, but is a stable beatable engine that can take a lot of abuse. So, as I said, I'd throw a pinch at it and run it some more if it were mine.

hmm thanks again! lol

Yeah well the thing is i want more bottom end, and it seems to lack that. Like i posted in the other thread the motor screams top end feels like mid and low RPM doesn't have much power. I dont know if this is the norm for the engine, I'm just thinking if i get an after market engine and it runs amazing from me taking care of it, that the day it needs to be rebuilt then i can go that route. but idk..... this engine kicked my butt alot. but the way its running now isnt too bad i dont know if i had a lucky day or if it will stay consistent, until then ill reseach on either re-pinching it, rebuilding it, or buying a new better more powerfull, more fun engine :)

Depends on the engine. Some are good on the low end, some are good on the high end, etc. IMO I would just buy a new engine.

I'd just buy a new engine and get it over and done with.

I bought a new motor, my savage is fine.