Rear wheels don't move on Savage 4.6, blown diff?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M Shark

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
As the topic says, my rear wheels don't move. I bought my savage new and haven't even used an entire gallon yet. Should this be covered under warranty?

I was doing figure 8 donuts and all of a sudden the truck didn't do any more donuts, thats when I noticed only the front wheels turned.

Yea it's covered. Check he rear drive cup that the center rear dogbone goes in to. Theres a pin/set screw that locks the cup to the pinion, sometimes that loosens up and falls out.

Also try this, pick the rear of the truck up and rotate the rear wheels back and forth, left and right side. If the rear diff is truly blown, u'll deff know it.

Again HPI has a bomb ass warranty, get in contact with them for any premature wear or problems ur having.

---------- Post added at 7:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 7:46 AM ----------

I bellieve there warranty is good for two year, as long as ur not abusing the poop out of it lol they will happy send out replacment parts.

Thats good news! Hopefully I can get in contact with them today. Have a million errands to do before I check my truck.

It's probably just the grub screw that fell out tho, new Savages always seem to be lacking when it comes to small screws and lock tight... It something so simple. When u have time go over all the metal on metal screws and give'em a dap of lock tight.

After you get your problem sorted, one of the guys here told me that the savage flux hp diffs are stronger than stock savages, maybe you'll wanna check that out

---------- Post added at 2:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:00 PM ----------

I too have the set pin problem part # 86095, only mine crack and the pin stops working, this only happens to my diffs with thicker diff oil, when I switch to diffs with lighter oil, it rarely happen at all.

It's probably just the grub screw that fell out tho, new Savages always seem to be lacking when it comes to small screws and lock tight... It something so simple. When u have time go over all the metal on metal screws and give'em a dap of lock tight.

Do you guys have a part number or diagram showing where the grub screw is? I haven't had the time to look at it but I'm at work right now and I can't seem to find anything helpful on google.

For confirmation, is the grub screw #86094 on page 59 of the Savage X 4.6 manual?

The set pins you are looking for are part #86095

---------- Post added at 8:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:54 AM ----------

86094 are smaller they go on the transmission side of both you centre driveshafts
86095 go on the side of you differentials, still on the centre diriveshafts

I took a look this morning and did notice a missing screw in those 2 holes in the area between the transmission and the brake discs.

---------- Post added at 9:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:10 AM ----------

The set pins you are looking for are part #86095

---------- Post added at 8:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:54 AM ----------

86094 are smaller they go on the transmission side of both you centre driveshafts
86095 go on the side of you differentials, still on the centre diriveshafts

Is it just 1 set screw that I need?

Um, your local hardwear store should have set screws.

---------- Post added at 9:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:39 AM ----------

It's a set pin?, they come in a package of about six, my hobby store was selling them for 15.00 a package, if you order on-line it'll be cheaper you just have to wait for shipping

---------- Post added at 9:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:42 AM ----------

While its off hold you brake disk with your fingers, rotate the driveshaft with the missing set pin if your tires still turn while your turning the driveshaft, then your good.

---------- Post added at 9:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:45 AM ----------

Or hold your front driveshaft I meant

Hey broski cheapest one I found: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HPI-SAV...adio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item4855c00fe0

---------- Post added at 3:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:01 PM ----------

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-SAVAGE-...adio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item4855c072f5

Not sure if u need the grub screw for the tranny cup or pinion cup but those two links are the cheapest I found for both.

I think this website I posted is the cheapest you can find online. The grub screw set is $1.95 and even the stock spur gears only cost $2.65!! lol

Yea but Active also charges u up the arse for shipping... Go with Ebay...

bought some other very awesomely priced wear and tear items. Saved $11 total, shipping was $7. saved $4 overall which isn't much but still! lol

I installed the new set screw and sealed it with loctite. Sealed the 4 other set screws with loctite as well just to be sure.

Last edited:
Back