Rear Differential

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GillesRich

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
My rear differential broke over the weekend. What actually broke are the 4 2x8mm countersunk screws that attach Ring Gear to the Diff Carrier.

Now I'm wondering if I should just get the regular differential assembly 4981 or the spool 4981x?

What are your thoughts and which one is better.

Thanks,

GillesRich

Last edited:
The spools is tough on the ring/pinion gears and all three of the rear axles. If you run on high traction surfaces.

Or, you could go with an after market cup that uses larger screws:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNWS5&P=ML

It comes with a modified stock gear (3mm holes for the screws) and 7075 aluminum diff cup that uses 3mm screws.

Or, just find an entire assembly on ebay... typically around $20. Then you typically can find the diff internals, bearings, pinion/ring...

i have a spool setup front and rear and have no trouble with it except it stripped my hexes. 5 months still no pinion failure, stripped a spur gear because the engine mount screws came out, but nothing to do with the spools.

by the way i run on alot of grass, dirt, and paved surfaces.

Well in my brussless E-Maxx after the first diff went i went right to Maximizer diff cups front and rear and had them in there ever since and not one has gone bad on me for over 1 1/2 years. pretty sweeet!!!!! The only thing that a spool does is make all four whells turn at once and my says that is really hard to steer and its eaiser to stripp out the CVD's eaiser also so go with Maximizer cups lot better and it's worth the money youll pay for them!!!!

I suggest the stock replacement or upgrading to Aluminum diff cases.Maximizer was mentioned but there are also GH Hobby and even Traxxas ones.

Spool set ups were not intended for normal bashing.They are too rough on the drive train. Upgrade to aluminum cases and blue threadlock the screws that mate the crown gear to the case.

Aluminum cups and the modified ring gear with 3mm screws is definately the way to go. Also make sure you properly shim the diffs, this is a must to prolong the life of your diffs. Even the stock diffs hold up well if properly shimmed, well they will hold up well if you havent done a bb conversion to it lol.