Really troublesome HPI Trophy 3.5 starting issues ☹️

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennettironman

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I am spending more time trying to start my buggy than actually running it ..,. please help folks..?

So I am having a right fight to get my buggy to start up.....done the following.....

New R4 Glow plug (in UK)
New expensive 3800 Glow stick
Good compression
Sealed exhaust system,new gasket and rubber.
Optifuel 25%
1.0mm LSN setting
Sky-Rc engine heater
New fuel tubing
When she does start and run it looks like I have a decent tune on her...if anything maybe a tad rich ?....I am baffled to be honest....It appears I have to get the engine really hot with a hot air gun to have any chance of getting her running...what does the experts think ? hoping it's something like I have a incorrect base tune ?

Are you using a fuel filter? Is the engine getting enough fuel. I have never had to use a engine heater to start a nitro engine. I just prime the engine and 2-3 starts and they run. Open the carb all the way and prime the engine without the ignitor on and see if there is a stream of fuel.

Are you using a fuel filter? Is the engine getting enough fuel. I have never had to use a engine heater to start a nitro engine. I just prime the engine and 2-3 starts and they run.
Hi not using a fuel filter currently should I ?

YES! if one is not inside the tank. It can cause serious problems later like starting and ruining your engine. So see if there is a steady stream of fuel when you open the carb and prime the engine. You do know how prime engine? I learned the hard way a long time ago. with my first nitro engine. A REX 350 stock engine. It was a awesome engine with 2hp. Until I couldn't get it to start anymore. I tried tuning it and nothing worked. I took the carb apart and found junk inside both needles blocking the fuel flow. I cleaned it out put it back together and it never ran right again. I tried and tried to tune it but it would never stay running. I had to buy a new engine. from that day on I made sure to run a fuel filter. I never had problem like that again. The crap gets stuck in the fuel filter and engine runs out of fuel. Clean it and good again.

Last edited:
always use a fuel filter.. Got any other nitro fuel maybe more % .I'm no nitro person but if you have good compression new gp and carb is good then that's what I can think off

What is good compression?????? I use a compression gauge to know what good compression is.

YES! if one is not inside the tank. It can cause serious problems later like starting and ruining your engine. So see if there is a steady stream of fuel when you open the carb and prime the engine. You do know how prime engine? I learned the hard way a long time ago. with my first nitro engine. A REX 350 stock engine. It was a awesome engine with 2hp. Until I couldn't get it to start anymore. I tried tuning it and nothing worked. I took the carb apart and found junk inside both needles blocking the fuel flow. I cleaned it out put it back together and it never ran right again. I tried and tried to tune it but it would never stay running. I had to buy a new engine. from that day on I made sure to run a fuel filter. I never had problem like that again. The crap gets stuck in the fuel filter and engine runs out of fuel. Clean it and good again.
I have a couple of new fuel filters but never fitted them...will do first thing tomorrow and let you know thanks so much for responding

As long as the needles are factory set and the engine sounds slightly rich just bump the idle up some to keep it running. In time the engine will seat. The longer it take the better and the engine will run good.

Update folks,

Read all the advice.....and thanks everyone..really helpful..I stripped off exhaust checked and resealed....took fuel tank off cleaned out and ran some WD40 through it....rebuilt with new furl pipe....used credit to set gap.....warmed up using engine heater.....new glow stick....second pull and she's up and running stress free so pleased....was tending to ruin the whole nitro experience for me.
Thanks everyone