Read actual Battery Voltage in telemetry and not BEC

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrencher65

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have an XMAXX with telemetry gauges. Noticed that Voltage is BEC and not actual battery voltage. Does anyone know how I can get real time battery voltage on this two battery system ? Thanks

not sure this is possible. I have a old school battery fuel gauge that I put in a rc body window but you had to see what cells were light.(common sence)

You need the voltage sensor that connects to the battery lead.
I use these.
Screenshot 2023-05-11 9.54.34 PM.png

Is the real time BEC voltage reading useful? It fluctuates from 6.1-5.7 for two Lipo’s. And if so, how? Health of ESC or Receiver? Thanks.

Is the real time BEC voltage reading useful? It fluctuates from 6.1-5.7 for two Lipo’s. And if so, how? Health of ESC or Receiver? Thanks.

Many step-down converters require a minimum of 1 volt higher supply voltage than they can output. If it's set to 6V, once the battery voltage dips below 7V, the BEC output will drop too. On 2S that should just about correspond to the batteries being nearly empty, on 3S you wouldn't notice because even nearly empty they'll be giving >9V

When I get t new car I always solder a pair of wires (+ and -) with a fuse holder to the ESC batter connect wires when I change out the stock battery connectors.
PXL_20230411_000830095.jpg

That way I can add whatever I want to later without running it through the ESC.
The fuse holder adds a layer of protection so that is any of the Cheap Chinese Crap (Sound to Led's) I have on the car decides short, it will not cause a problem with the battery.
In your case, you can easily add a battery level read out or indicator to the car and it be fairly accurate to the battery.

Back