RC UPDATE: Slash and Rustler

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
So parts came in over the past few days. Blue Aluminum Caster Blocks, Steering Blocks for rustler and Blue Aluminum Bell crank for slash. Also Blue RPM Front bumper for rustler. I had put the new motor in the slash, I haven't ran it yet because of my schedule and school. I didn't water break it in I just put it in and I will to the Brief break in from Traxxas. This weekend I want to get outside and doing some RC.

Next for Rustler:
RPM Arms (Front and Rear)
RPM Front Bulkhead
Blue Aluminum rear axle carriers
Shocks - Going to use my spare Traxxas big bores I have

Next for Slash:
LCG Chassis
Tires
New body
Aluminum Caster, Steering blocks and axle carriers
Steering and Camber links
PXL_20211002_002141584.jpg
PXL_20211002_002135158.jpg
PXL_20211002_002127049.jpg
PXL_20211002_002115156.jpg

All of the aluminum parts I used the Atomik RC parts from amazon

How do you like that steering bell crank? Thats the only part I haven’t upgraded on mine because it’s actually pretty tight after I modified the drag link.

How do you like that steering bell crank? Thats the only part I haven’t upgraded on mine because it’s actually pretty tight after I modified the drag link.
So far it works good. Haven't got it outside yet. I will tomorrow. I replaced it cause the stock plastic one is done and the bearings aren't good and I had the car for 6 years and never replaced it. On my rustler I have the Traxxas bellcrank and it was 30 dollars. This one is the atomik rc one and it was 20 dollars on Amazon. I will post tomorrow on how it works out.

How do you like the Anaconda tires.??
I love them! So much grip then the stock ones. Also the tire tread looks cooler than the stock. Here is Mark Santa Maria's rustler build that he is doing
I wish that we had those black chrome wheels. I just have the chrome rustler wheels with the anaconda tires
Also the anaconda's are good. I also heard that the Duratrax bandito tires are good as well
And with the anaconda tread pattern, it lasts longer if your doing mostly on street. The stock tires are more for off-road. I still have my stock tires and the rears are done and have no traction. I am going to get Traxxas talon or Duratrax lockup for off-road tires.

Last edited:
I also never upgraded the bell crank on either of my Rustys. Other than having to replace bearings a couple of times I've never had any issues with the stock one.

How do you like the Anaconda tires.??
I also like the Anacondas.

I also heard that the Duratrax bandito tires are good as well
The Banditos are ok. I have some. The 2.2s are to big for the Rustler IMO and I wish the compound was a bit softer but for the money theyre ok.

On my traxxas rustler 2wd which I sold, I worn out the rear tyres because I was driving it on road alot so I would use the stock tyres for off road and I would get a set of Louise st rocket tyres. Here is a picture of them
images (13).jpeg

On my traxxas rustler 2wd which I sold, I worn out the rear tyres because I was driving it on road alot so I would use the stock tyres for off road and I would get a set of Louise st rocket tyres. Here is a picture of themView attachment 153780
I have duratrax tires with this thread on nitro slash, probably identical tires like Louise. They have very little traction and car likes to Spin out easy. The only good thing about them is that it seems like they will last forever, no visible tire wear.
So far it works good. Haven't got it outside yet. I will tomorrow. I replaced it cause the stock plastic one is done and the bearings aren't good and I had the car for 6 years and never replaced it. On my rustler I have the Traxxas bellcrank and it was 30 dollars. This one is the atomik rc one and it was 20 dollars on Amazon. I will post tomorrow on how it works out.
I don't have a lot of experience with atomic rc parts except 1/8 scale shocks that I used on of a truggy. Long story short, they perform much worst than stock, no matter what I do they leak first pack, not smooth, just waste of money. I don't like to upgrade anything before I break, and even when I break a caster block or hub carrier I don't feel like spending 20$+ so I get original 3$ plastic again. I can't speak for all brends but a lot of them don't fit properly, have a lot of slop or change suspension geometry.

I have only 1 2wd Traxxas that I bought used and it came with a bunch of original Traxxas aluminum upgrades, and I further modified it to "1/7 scale stampede" with big tires from hpi savage and wheel offset adapters and even after some spectacular crashes never broke anything.

When it comes to bell crank and steering I think the biggest upgrade is metal gear servo like power hd 20kg for example, and not running servo saver, just straight to the plastic servo arm. If you do some crazy jumps probably better idea is to go with heavy duty servo saver, for me running no saver is fine. Original white Traxxas servo saver is junk

Last edited:
Haven't been on this thread in a while. I have the both same metal gear servo in my slash and rustler. Its a OMG (Outstanding Metal Gear) 20kg servo. I also have a losi 25t metal servo arm with the traxxas aluminum bellcrank for both cars as well. Yes the traxxas servo savers are junk. I had about 3 of them pop open. Steering is more direct and more responsive with the losi arm I have on. For those Atomik parts, I only go with Atomik for castor blocks, steering blocks and rear hubs. I just like them because they are cheap and have more tune ability than the traxxas aluminum ones. I had bought an Integy aluminum castor block because that is what my LHS had in stock at the time. It fit fine but when it came with the steering block it wouldn't fit right. And I really don't like integy parts. I just have their 1/10 RC hauler that I use when I go to the hobby shop or vacation.