RC Track Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a dirt track in my backyard and love it!! 😁Was just runnin' my Senton on it for a few hours yesterday. You are gonna love it!! :thumbs-up:

Take your time in the planning phase. I went through a dozen or so plans/sketches before selecting one. Lay it out and drive it. Make sure the turns aren't too tight, that the straight away and ramp work, etc. I used long extension cords and rope to mirror the berms and pipes. Don't stick to one thing. Have different routes, short cuts, tunnels, bridges and different ways to go to keep it interesting. I love that you are incorporating the crawler section in yours. :thumbs-up:

Make sure your lanes are wide enough. When I originally built it, it was going to be a 1/12 (about 5-6' wide) course. My new and future extensions will be 1/10 size (about 7-8'wide) ;)

Looks like you are using the timber for the lanes? Def saves you money, but not a forgiving lane wall. I used drainage pipes as they are more flexible and easier on the rigs.

Upkeep is a lot! I just laid some hay salt down yesterday as I was told it would help keep the weeds down. We will see. 🤔

Drainage....major issue if you are trying to keep the track really smooth. Mine was good, but when I extended the track this past Spring I lost my drainage sections. Not too worried as my track is rough all around anyway.

Def want at least 1 straight track with a decent jump. Trust me....you will regret if you don't. 😉

S curves are fun. Makes people slow down to navigate.

If it's regular loose dirt, it's gonna get dry and dusty which sucks cuz there's no traction. If you are not near a hose, you will want to get or build a rain catcher barrel thingy so you can wet down the track.

I was challenged by my buds on Arrma Forum to create a tunnel. So I did! 😆

Next Spring I will add the final section/extension. It'll have a bridge and a way for me to move 2 pipes and have a med sized oval track. Then, just move the pipes back for the full course. I can't wait!!! 😆😁😃

If you have any questions at all or want some advice, please don't hesitate to ask. You are gonna have a blast with this project!! 😁✌️
View attachment 152829View attachment 152830View attachment 152831View attachment 152832View attachment 152838View attachment 152833View attachment 152835View attachment 152836View attachment 152837View attachment 152834
Can you adopt me?? 🙏🏻

I have a dirt track in my backyard and love it!! 😁Was just runnin' my Senton on it for a few hours yesterday. You are gonna love it!! :thumbs-up:

Take your time in the planning phase. I went through a dozen or so plans/sketches before selecting one. Lay it out and drive it. Make sure the turns aren't too tight, that the straight away and ramp work, etc. I used long extension cords and rope to mirror the berms and pipes. Don't stick to one thing. Have different routes, short cuts, tunnels, bridges and different ways to go to keep it interesting. I love that you are incorporating the crawler section in yours. :thumbs-up:

Make sure your lanes are wide enough. When I originally built it, it was going to be a 1/12 (about 5-6' wide) course. My new and future extensions will be 1/10 size (about 7-8'wide) ;)

Looks like you are using the timber for the lanes? Def saves you money, but not a forgiving lane wall. I used drainage pipes as they are more flexible and easier on the rigs.

Upkeep is a lot! I just laid some hay salt down yesterday as I was told it would help keep the weeds down. We will see. 🤔

Drainage....major issue if you are trying to keep the track really smooth. Mine was good, but when I extended the track this past Spring I lost my drainage sections. Not too worried as my track is rough all around anyway.

Def want at least 1 straight track with a decent jump. Trust me....you will regret if you don't. 😉

S curves are fun. Makes people slow down to navigate.

If it's regular loose dirt, it's gonna get dry and dusty which sucks cuz there's no traction. If you are not near a hose, you will want to get or build a rain catcher barrel thingy so you can wet down the track.

I was challenged by my buds on Arrma Forum to create a tunnel. So I did! 😆

Next Spring I will add the final section/extension. It'll have a bridge and a way for me to move 2 pipes and have a med sized oval track. Then, just move the pipes back for the full course. I can't wait!!! 😆😁😃

If you have any questions at all or want some advice, please don't hesitate to ask. You are gonna have a blast with this project!! 😁✌️
View attachment 152829View attachment 152830View attachment 152831View attachment 152832View attachment 152838View attachment 152833View attachment 152835View attachment 152836View attachment 152837View attachment 152834
Can you adopt me??

🤔

want some advice, please don't hesitate to ask. You are gonna have a blast with this project!! 😁✌️
Hi! (been a while...)
Very nice set up! Wow!
With 1 inch football turf carpet, we don't have the major problem of "drainage" and the track is so smooth. And we keep the turf outside all year long.
By the way, a soft (or hard) carpet section could very interesting on your layout.
Thanks for sharing and thanks for tthe Thread opener (Addict RC)
PL
IMG_1916.JPG

Hi! (been a while...)
Very nice set up! Wow!
With 1 inch football turf carpet, we don't have the major problem of "drainage" and the track is so smooth. And we keep the turf outside all year long.
By the way, a soft (or hard) carpet section could very interesting on your layout.
PL
View attachment 153118
thats awesome

Hi! (been a while...)
Very nice set up! Wow!
PL
View attachment 153118
Very cool! Yeah, with carpet def less drainage issues. Might have to look into that. But I do love the fresh dirt track!! 😁 ✌️

Back