RC Track Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Addict Rc

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
ok so no pictures cause i forgot but today we took down some trees one massive one that almost fell on the neighbors barn 💀 luckily we strapped it up and pulled it the other way also chipped up some trees those will most likely be used to fill in the gaps inside the track to make it look nice and clearing out all the brush and we cur down like 5 25+ feet tall trees in the last 3 days now we have about 500 foot logs ranging from 2” to 6” and 30 12” to 20” logs this is going to be quite a track and crawler track will upload pics tomorrow

Oh, this is gonna be good. O.K., Addict show us what you got. :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up:

Lot of work, bud. Both the build and the upkeep. Worth the effort though for the enjoyment you'll get out of it.

Have a backyard grasstrack oval I've run for three years. Just this year cut it over to an open-area MT arena. 'AC'

Remove the mailboxes?
good idea i actually did find one in the woods and thats going in the dump trailer
Oh nice! You're building a track? You gonna do a video of the area?
yep the video wont be out for a while i actually forgot to record from this weekend but soon we are brining a skid steer in for a week thats going to be recorded we were thinking either a figure 8 with jump over the middle and bumps going the other way or just a oval and crawler track in the middle but we could always put the crawler track on the outside
Oh, this is gonna be good. O.K., Addict show us what you got. :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up:

Lot of work, bud. Both the build and the upkeep. Worth the effort though for the enjoyment you'll get out of it.

Have a backyard grasstrack oval I've run for three years. Just this year cut it over to an open-area MT arena. 'AC'
👍 I will show you later today kinda busy today but its going to be dirt going to dig about 3 inches down with a skid steer and some kind of viewing platform this should all be done by the end of the year then ill have to maybe in the winter put a tarp over it and water when its going to be cold and drift it if nothing important pops up bu

Last edited:
I have a dirt track in my backyard and love it!! 😁Was just runnin' my Senton on it for a few hours yesterday. You are gonna love it!! :thumbs-up:

Take your time in the planning phase. I went through a dozen or so plans/sketches before selecting one. Lay it out and drive it. Make sure the turns aren't too tight, that the straight away and ramp work, etc. I used long extension cords and rope to mirror the berms and pipes. Don't stick to one thing. Have different routes, short cuts, tunnels, bridges and different ways to go to keep it interesting. I love that you are incorporating the crawler section in yours. :thumbs-up:

Make sure your lanes are wide enough. When I originally built it, it was going to be a 1/12 (about 5-6' wide) course. My new and future extensions will be 1/10 size (about 7-8'wide) ;)

Looks like you are using the timber for the lanes? Def saves you money, but not a forgiving lane wall. I used drainage pipes as they are more flexible and easier on the rigs.

Upkeep is a lot! I just laid some hay salt down yesterday as I was told it would help keep the weeds down. We will see. 🤔

Drainage....major issue if you are trying to keep the track really smooth. Mine was good, but when I extended the track this past Spring I lost my drainage sections. Not too worried as my track is rough all around anyway.

Def want at least 1 straight track with a decent jump. Trust me....you will regret if you don't. 😉

S curves are fun. Makes people slow down to navigate.

If it's regular loose dirt, it's gonna get dry and dusty which sucks cuz there's no traction. If you are not near a hose, you will want to get or build a rain catcher barrel thingy so you can wet down the track.

I was challenged by my buds on Arrma Forum to create a tunnel. So I did! 😆

Next Spring I will add the final section/extension. It'll have a bridge and a way for me to move 2 pipes and have a med sized oval track. Then, just move the pipes back for the full course. I can't wait!!! 😆😁😃

If you have any questions at all or want some advice, please don't hesitate to ask. You are gonna have a blast with this project!! 😁✌️
20210523_194201.jpg
20210523_194250.jpg
20210523_194043.jpg
20220503_172710.jpg
20220602_105332.jpg
20220610_104601.jpg
20220610_150132.jpg
20220610_150018.jpg
20220610_145902.jpg
20220723_181027.jpg

I have a dirt track in my backyard and love it!! 😁Was just runnin' my Senton on it for a few hours yesterday. You are gonna love it!! :thumbs-up:

Take your time in the planning phase. I went through a dozen or so plans/sketches before selecting one. Lay it out and drive it. Make sure the turns aren't too tight, that the straight away and ramp work, etc. I used long extension cords and rope to mirror the berms and pipes. Don't stick to one thing. Have different routes, short cuts, tunnels, bridges and different ways to go to keep it interesting. I love that you are incorporating the crawler section in yours. :thumbs-up:

Make sure your lanes are wide enough. When I originally built it, it was going to be a 1/12 (about 5-6' wide) course. My new and future extensions will be 1/10 size (about 7-8'wide) ;)

Looks like you are using the timber for the lanes? Def saves you money, but not a forgiving lane wall. I used drainage pipes as they are more flexible and easier on the rigs.

Upkeep is a lot! I just laid some hay salt down yesterday as I was told it would help keep the weeds down. We will see. 🤔

Drainage....major issue if you are trying to keep the track really smooth. Mine was good, but when I extended the track this past Spring I lost my drainage sections. Not too worried as my track is rough all around anyway.

Def want at least 1 straight track with a decent jump. Trust me....you will regret if you don't. 😉

If it's regular loose dirt, it's gonna get dry and dusty which sucks cuz there's no traction. If you are not near a hose, you will want to get or build a rain catcher barrel thingy so you can wet down the track.

Next Spring I will add the final section/extension. It'll have a bridge and a way for me to move 2 pipes and have a med sized oval track. Then, just move the pipes back for the full course. I can't wait!!! 😆😁😃

If you have any questions at all or want some advice, please don't hesitate to ask. You are gonna have a blast with this project!! 😁✌️
View attachment 152829View attachment 152830View attachment 152831View attachment 152832View attachment 152838View attachment 152833View attachment 152835View attachment 152836View attachment 152837View attachment 152834
I am soooooo jealous! That is looking amazing man. Wish you lived near me lol.

You should put at least one long straight, one long jump, and one S curve in it. How big is the area? Maybe do a google maps screenshot to draw the plan on.
i would but the last people that owned the house didnt take care of the yard and 2 years ago is the last google earth or map

View attachment 152829View attachment 152830View attachment 152831View attachment 152832View attachment 152838View attachment 152833View attachment 152835View attachment 152836View attachment 152837View attachment 152834
thanks for the essay on how to build a track 🤣 but really thank you i will not be using logs as barriers I'm not willing to brake every part in the front end I'm going to use that pipe that your using and everyone uses 😊
O.K., Addict. Here's my grasstrack ready for opening day 2023 MT events. 9paces wide x 18 paces long. That translates to roughly 20ft x 40ft arena for monster trucks. Ramps and obstacles placed as needed.

View attachment 152857
can't wait

Last edited:
Ok so if anyone was wondering heres what I'm using to cut little trees and brush up to 5” big but heres the tools its a milwaukee hacksaw or sawzal and a craftsman wood blade came in a 3 pack

ABF9C77B-D58E-4236-88CF-724ECC37D419.jpeg

8F322845-F738-410A-81C6-B2C890A26E0B.jpeg

It was so awesome until I saw that tree in the middle of the track, I think I just broke a wheel hub looking at it. HAHA!!
Totally awesome set up!

Back