RC backfire?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fstnd

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Is it possible to get a nitro or gas RC to backfire? Like, putting a spark in the exhaust. I just disassembled a broken burner and found a spark generator. If i get channel 3 to click on it then why not🙂

Ok wrong term, i just mean the unburned fuel from the exhaust when the engine runs rich

I've seen this kind of thing on RC drift cars. It looks legit but i think its just like a lighter they stick into the hood.
If they don't have an engine then for sure🙄
I don’t know but I want to tell you that I really like the way you think
Lol I have a chemistry test in two weeks so if I tell her I bound the remaining carbon (monoxide) atoms to oxygen after incomplete combustion...😁

I'll first test this idea by just using an engine on a bench test, "throttling" and using a butane propane lighter

I'll first test this idea by just using an engine on a bench test, "throttling" and using a butane propane lighter
I just gave it a try with the lighter and it didn't work out after all😒 Though I could see some of the smoke burning, it was just a small flame as long as my ☝️, and when i stopped the fire from my lighter, the exhaust fire stopped immediately. I might try again sometime but with a "silencer" with holes in it to have some more oxygen before mixing with the environment. Or am I thinking about it the wrong way?

I dont think so with the nitro fuel ,it does not ignite fast enough as
it has to be compressed to burn!
Would it be safe to try this with a gasser?

I just gave it a try with the lighter and it didn't work out after all😒 Though I could see some of the smoke burning, it was just a small flame as long as my ☝️, and when i stopped the fire from my lighter, the exhaust fire stopped immediately. I might try again sometime but with a "silencer" with holes in it to have some more oxygen before mixing with the environment. Or am I thinking about it the wrong way?

I am not sure ,backfires are created by loaded up gases an dont think you can with a 2 stroke engine ,too much
fuel loaded up the engine will not run!

I got my nitro to backfire one time but that was on accident ,it was when I used that WD electrical contact cleaner
to clean the inside of the engine ,that stuff was very volatile to a glo plug or spark an it scared the hell out of me
when it happened ,it popped an shot a 6 inch torch flame out the pipe!

I could mix a bit of WD40 into the fuel... I saw someone doing it on youtube and a lot (if not all) of the WD40 went out of the exhaust as a liquid. I guess I'll give it a go sometime👍

I got my nitro to backfire one time but that was on accident ,it was when I used that WD electrical contact cleaner
thanks for the idea😀

I could mix a bit of WD40 into the fuel... I saw someone doing it on youtube and a lot (if not all) of the WD40 went out of the exhaust as a liquid. I guess I'll give it a go sometime👍

thanks for the idea😀

It was not regular WD-40 ,it was the WD-40 electrical contact cleaner ,you missed understood the difference
in the two!

nuclear explosion GIF

I'm intrigued that you got any combustion at all from the exhaust vapor, on a nitro plane that could be developed to work almost like an afterburner. What if instead of running rich, you were running "oily," with a higher-percentage mix of oil, and burning the vaporized portion of that? Maybe something like an arc ignitor would work across the exhaust.

I think a gasser would have far less combustible products in its exhaust than a nitro by virtue of its substantially leaner fuel-air ratio.

If instead of rich you were running "oily," with a higher-percentage mix of oil, and burning the vaporized portion of that?
Would beauty ricinus oil like this work?
Maybe something like an arc ignitor would work across the exhaust.
Never heard of that. Just googled it, looks like a great idea😀 This one seems fun and simplest to me to assemble. But I got a problem because it needs 3A at 3-5V. I could connect six 0.5A 3.7V plane batteries in parallel but not really into doing that😂 I do have a 3A 8.4V battery. Would this transformer solve my problem?
Even if the fire idea doesn't really turn out the way I wanted it at first, it would still look very cool if there was a non-stop finger-sized flame coming out of the exhaust. Especially if I do it in a rear exhaust T2M series 5000 with a BMW body😎

I dont think so with the nitro fuel ,it does not ignite fast enough as
it has to be compressed to burn!
That and doesn't nitro burn clear?

You got the fd on speed dial? 🫠😆

That and doesn't nitro burn clear?
I just read a whole thread about this on RC universe and can't really understand how, but quite very sure I saw atleast a 8cm orange stable 🔥 coming out of the exhaust in clear daylight. Engine wasn't too rich either

You got the fd on speed dial? 🫠😆
help what does that mean. Sorry for asking to explain a joke (i guess) but actually??

Would beauty ricinus oil like this work?

Never heard of that. Just googled it, looks like a great idea😀 This one seems fun and simplest to me to assemble. But I got a problem because it needs 3A at 3-5V. I could connect six 0.5A 3.7V plane batteries in parallel but not really into doing that😂 I do have a 3A 8.4V battery. Would this transformer solve my problem?
Even if the fire idea doesn't really turn out the way I wanted it at first, it would still look very cool if there was a non-stop finger-sized flame coming out of the exhaust. Especially if I do it in a rear exhaust T2M series 5000 with a BMW body😎

I was thinking something like a "plane" fuel with ~18% oil instead of nitro buggy fuel. Adding cosmetic castor to fuel would almost certainly gum up the engine since the castor we use has been processed for that purpose.

A 0.5A 3.7V battery would probably power that arc ignitor for ~10 minutes. I notice it says its only good for 10 seconds of continuous use, might be able to increase that with some stick-on heatsinks. That transformer would work too, you could probably make it all work off the same battery as the servos and receiver.

For that price it doesn't matter if one breaks.
A 0.5A 3.7V battery would probably power that arc ignitor for ~10 minutes. I notice it says its only good for 10 seconds of continuous use
It's great anyway to hear that a 0.5A plane battery would be enough. 10 seconds seem decent, definetely enough for one pass🙂
I was thinking something like a "plane" fuel with ~18% oil instead of nitro buggy fuel. Adding cosmetic castor to fuel would almost certainly gum up the engine since the castor we use has been processed for that
I'd have to buy the Optifuel for helicopters/planes from Belgium, because most nitro percentage plane fuel I can get here is 5%. Expensive shipping just for this isn't really worth it tbh.
I'll try the WD stuff and I'll buy the ignitor anyway just because it seems fun👍

I have an engine with not much compression, a little leaking bearing yet still it stays strong and holds a tune well. It has impressive amount of play between the piston rod bushings and the crankshaft, I can kinda wiggle it. This engine is what I'm always experimenting with😂

Back