Raw 500 servo, no response

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatcraig

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
I just bought a raw 500 servo for my scx10 and I installed it but when I turn on the truck the tires jiggles but then won't steer.

Do you have another vehicle you can test with? You don't need to install just to check the servo. Maybe the BEC isn't strong enough in your current electronics.

What's the setup? Esc and radio

This is why I have 2 chargers that have servo test options and a servo tester with a ubec on it.Sounds like bec on esc is weak .

Firma 40a reciever with a dx3 radio

Here is the amp specs of servo.
Loading Current: 4000mA @ 6.0V / 4300mA @ 7.4V / 4600mA @ 8.4V

If the esc is the 2in1 it only has a 3amp BEC.

That BEC is too weak to power that servo. You can get an external BEC to power the servo.

Last edited:
You could also power the servo directly from a 2s lipo.

What is a bec? And what does it look like because I have the 2in1 and ill need a bec.

And I'm looking at them on amazon, but I see where one plugs into the channels on the receiver but what are the negative and positive leads coming off the bec?
I guess it replaces the 2 in 1 esc and reciever? Does that mean ill need a receiver too?

What is the black wire go too?

Last edited:
The thing is, that servo draws a lot of amps. The stock esc doesn’t have a good enough built in bec to provide the correct voltage or amps to the servo. I would get something like this as it would work the best as it is a name brand.

Good luck!

Okay I'm buying one of those, but what does that black wire go to on the bec?

The black wire and red wire go to battery voltage. Usually it's soldered in on the ESC's battery lead (plug).
This needs to be wired in along with keeping your ESC and receiver. I don't know anything about the 2in1 esc and receiver. If I was to wire in a separate BEC it would be in an ESC bypass configuration.

Also if you get the Castle BEC you will need a castle link to adjust it. It comes preset at 5volts. Not sure if that will affect the 2in1 Firma setup you have if you don't do the bypass.

Last edited:
Get the Castle 10A BEC
https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-creations-10-amp-adjustable-bec-cse010-0004-00/p18210
unnamed.jpg

To remove the red wire from the ESC's JR connector, use a small pick and push the little tab down gently til the red terminal pulls out of the connector. Then just fold the red wire back and tape it to the cable. If you ever need to reinsert it back into the connector, gently pry that little tab back up and push it back in.

Alternately, you could pudh the wire in and pry up the plastic tab on the connector housing that is locking that terminal in there. Then pull the terminal out.
Screenshot_20240218_022534.jpg

And get yourself a servo tester
DIYmall HJ Digital RC Servo Tester ESC Consistency Tester Speed Controller for RC Helicopter Airplane Car Motor Throttle Display https://a.co/d/fKZAsGj

Last edited:
So I have to get something to adjust the Bec? Can you send me a link for it because I can't find it.

Did you test the radio signal with a known good servo?
Did you accidently turned down the radio's steering dual rate?

The servo will only draw max amperage when there is a load on it. I highly doubt having the wheels and tires off the ground would overload a speed control's 3A BEC.