ran the tmaxx into a creek

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

critter_gto

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Yes you read it right. Well what do guys and gals think I should do. It landed upside down while running.

(before anyone else replies)

What do you think you should do?

(before anyone else replies)

What do you think you should do?

Again, if you are not going to be of any help, do not reply! If he knew what to do he wouldn't be here asking for help.

Critter ,I would strongly recommend a complete tear down of the truck. Make sure the servos are dry, the receiver is dry, pull the engine out and tear it down. Spray the internals with wd40 which is a water displacement spray, spray the bearings well, then reassemble the engine and add some sro. clean and re-oil the air filter, Just go over the truck thoroughly, lubricate any bearings and make sure all electronics are dry.

Oh sorry, didnt mean to hurt any feelings, via the internet.

Again, if you are not going to be of any help, do not reply! If he knew what to do he wouldn't be here asking for help.

Critter ,I would strongly recommend a complete tear down of the truck. Make sure the servos are dry, the receiver is dry, pull the engine out and tear it down. Spray the internals with wd40 which is a water displacement spray, spray the bearings well, then reassemble the engine and add some sro. clean and re-oil the air filter, Just go over the truck thoroughly, lubricate any bearings and make sure all electronics are dry.

+1 on above. Had a very similar situation happen to me, I did as mentioned above, and still no probs with electronics, bearings or the motor!!! Go over the truck with a hair dryer thoroughly, dont let the water sit on anything to long.

I completely tore down the engine sprayed some carbon cleaner in the carburater and sprayed everything else in the engine with wd40 and break cleaner cause o ran out pf wd40 I only had a little bit left. All of the electronics are laying out with the car upside down. To let stuff dry. Now when I re assemble the engine what kind of oil should I put around the rod crank and pistons? Should I just use some fuel or go to my lhs and get special stuff? I drained all the fuel lines and the tank. When I go to start it up should I drop some fuel on the piston before I put the head on so the piston isn't dry rubbing up against the sleeve? I'm sure we all know what happens when you don't use enough lube lol.

Last edited:
I use after-run oil as an assembly lube when putting engines back together. Fuel will suffice if it's all you have to work with. Use liberal amounts on all bearings and on the piston/sleeve. You can then use normal starting techniques.
If you're not sure if the electronics are dry,use a hair dryer on them and get them good and hot. Test that they are working properly BEFORE you start it up.

Well after taking everything apart and drying it out I also cleaned and checked everything. I popped open my steering servo and all but two teeth were missing on a gear. And I went to go fire it up and it sounds like I'm not getting any combustion. I have a brand new glow plug in there. It just ticks. I'm getting fuel pressure and back pressure from the fuel. It won't prime the engine I lubed everything with assembly lube. The fly wheel turns and the rotating assembly does everything. Oh well I've been looking to upgrade to a .26 picco red dot anyways. Anyone wanna direct me towards a decent steering servo. The way I look at it is I'm not just gonna sit here and trouble shoot and buy cheap gears might as well upgrade as it breaks. This rc stuff seems really cheap compared to a real car. Oh yeah and one other thing I hate ez starts! :\

Haha the sooner you realise its never ending process the better . Had my maxx well over a year and dont think I've gone a week without having to get something for it lol . Mind you its probably because I'm out bashing at least twice a week . Plus one on the easy start .

I just needed something I could run the balls off of. I've had this thing smoking for the past week so I think I need to upgrade.

I know I'm probably a little late here, but this might help someone in the future. If there is one thing I am an expert in (hint: it's not RC cars), it would be wet electronics!

I have found that the best thing to do when something electronic gets wet is to put it in a container filled with as many silica beads (those little packets you get when you buy almost ANYTHING that say DO NOT EAT on them) as you can get your hands on. It absorbs moisture better than anything else I have ever seen, and worked 100% of the time I have tried them, as long as there is no permanent damage already done.

Of course, most people don't stockpile those things, so I have found the next best thing to be a bowl of rice. Seriously. Something like this happened to me before with a receiver, and I threw it in a cup of rice (not cooked, obviously). The rice absorbs moisture right out of anything. For even better drying power, try putting it either somewhere hot and dry (like when I dropped my phone in the sink at work, and put it in rice in the boiler room) or, if possible, near a dehumidifier (like when I dropped my phone in the sink at home). It usually works, at least for me. And trust me, I have had to save a lot of wet devices.

More recently, I have also found that NOT having your phone near a sink is also a good idea.

Well I tried to start it up today for shits and grins. And it worked! Started really nice I did a bunch of wot runs to get all the crap out of there and I also picked up a new servo. So today was a good day it smoked a little bit but I sprayed some wd40 in the cylinder cause it had some assembly lube in the cylinder.