Radio problems!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charliejp

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I purchased a Spektrum dx2 about 2 months ago and have had signal problems ever since. It does fine at close range but when I go for wot passes at long range it fails. I've checked the antenna connections in both the tx and rx, Tried lengthening the antenna in the rx, fully charged batteries. I'm also running a venom smarttemp failsafe if it helps. I would much appreciate any help. Thanx.:\

Maybe try re binding the receiver to the radio and see if that helps.

Or you could always call Spectrum or Horizon Hobby and see if it is covered under a warranty?

Have you tried running without the failsafe? The spektrum receivers have a built in fail safe for signal loss. They send the throttle servo to the location it was in when you bound the receiver to the xmitter. To test it, turn everything on, then hold the throttle trigger WOT and shut off the xmitter. It takes about a second for the receiver to recognize the issue, but all of mine send the servo to the bound position.

I didn't even try installing my OFNA FS in any of my rigs with spektrum.

Might be worth a try.

I'll give that a try tommorrow since thats the only thing I can think of that I have'nt tried yet. I'd hate to loose the smarttemp, it's really handy for tuning. Thanks for the replies.

can you run the smartemp without the failsafe part? i agree with olds that is probably the issue.

I know my FS caused issues with my digital servo. Not sure why, but it made it twitch every time it blinked... which was always. It only went solid red when it was engaged.

can you run the smartemp without the failsafe part? i agree with olds that is probably the issue.

The unit plugs into the receiver for power. I may be able to plug into the 3rd channel for power? I'll give that a shot too. I think first I'll eliminate the fs alltogether and see if it helps. I'll have time tommorrow.

I know my FS caused issues with my digital servo. Not sure why, but it made it twitch every time it blinked... which was always. It only went solid red when it was engaged.

My servos have been a little twitchy but only when I'm starting with the tx close. Gonna do some testing in the morning.

Definitely no need for a failsafe with a Spektrum.
What kind of rx pack are you using?

Allright, I went out today without the smarttemp alltogether and everythings working corectly now. Just ran on flat ground today so stil need to test n some hills and with the smarttemp on third channel. Thanks for the help.

Definitely no need for a failsafe with a Spektrum.
What kind of rx pack are you using?

Running the 3000.

Glad to hear it's working for you. I can't imagine how frustrated I'd be spending that kind of money on something because it's "better", then ends up worse than what you had.

Let us know how the hill tests go.

you shouldn't change the length of the antennae. Its a certain gauge and length for optimum range.

All tests went well. I don't know why I did'nt think of the smarttemp being the problem sooner. Oh well, Live and learn. I can still use the smarttemp on the 3rd channel without interferrence. Just dont have the temp fail safe. Funny how everything works a little faster now. lol Thanks for the help guys!

Back