Racing drones?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannarunem

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys, been out of the RC hobby for awhile but looking into the racing drone scene for fun..(mostly buggies and trucks)
Can anyone point me to a fun/durable racer? Looking to spend under 500 for a RTF set-up. I've dug around online and have discovered many different racers but so many to choose from. I plan to get goggles later but want to start flying first. I havent used the search function on this site yet but will do soon. Any help is greatly needed. I want something that requires no tunning right out of the box to enjoy. (Will tune after getting comfortable)
What are your thoughts on these?
jjpro p130
Walkera runner 250
Eachine racer 250

Do you fly currently? Or have you flown multirotors before? The reason I ask, is that a pre-built racer is going to be tuned to do one thing well. And I'll bet money it's not to be a forgiving, fun introduction to multirotors. Also, how good is your eyesight? I have two 450 quads that I've built, neither of which will hold a candle to the hyper speeds of the 250's, and at full tilt they'll get far enough away that orientation becomes a problem rather quickly, especially the FPV quad as there are no color markings to distinguish from from rear. Much like the little race quads you're looking at.

If you haven't flown multirotors before, then I highly recommend a Hubasan X4. Small enough to fly in the house, big enough to take outside in calm conditions. If you master that and are still having fun, then move up and continue enjoying it. If not, then you're only out $40, and not hundreds of dollars. Just my $.02

I've never flown a drone before bit do have minimal time flying airplanes with a friend. My eyes are 20/20 with contacts.:) I have come across that X4 and was thinking about starting with it, too...good advice. I'm hooked on the racing vids of some of these drones. Intially, I was going to start off with the DJI's and putt around but that's really not my style of R/C'ing. (Too slow and bulky for my liking.) I will order that X4 and fly that
around. If I continue to pursue I may check out the Walkera runner 250.

Woah....its high dollar but that Allied AR25 is one sweet racer....goodness. It's built with twin plates kind of like my savage lol
Thanks for the reply HPIguy

Good choice! Planes and quads fly very differently IMO. Quads always need coordinated turns, planes you can yank 'n bank most of the time if you want, depending on the airframe. DO NOT buy anything Walkera, you'll thank me once you start reading up on their history. They are well known for coming out with a new product, rather than fixing issues with an existing one. Which means all your parts support goes bye bye. Out of all your choices, the Eachine would be my pick. But there are others I recommend over that if you wanted to build, which is always my recommendation for any aircraft above the size of the X4. I've learned that one the hard way, more than once. RTF stands for Ready To Fall when it comes to aircraft.

I would build but I feel like I have forgotten so much about this hobby...been away way too long. My rides are sitting on the shelf screaming at me to take them out and run them...i will probably sell them.
But the drones are a whole new world to me. They have come a long way from what I last saw. Thanks for the insight about Walkera. I will stay away from that company.

I've had good luck with the microQX, Inductrix and nanoQX from Blade (eFlite) as well as their bigger brother the 200 QX. Lots of part support as they are Horizon Hobby products. got them all to bind up with my DX6s and the microQX and 200QX on my DX7. The smaller quads are easy to fly indoors or out in calm weather. The 200QX is a beast and can give you a great feel for the way a 250 would fly because it is brushless and has a similar performance.

The microQX (or mQX) was replaced by the 180QX, but it's essentially the same. The best bang for the buck if you don't plan on flying inside is the 200QX. It's got several flight modes including a fully aerobatic mode (and the props have to be changed to make the best of it) but can be used for training as well. It's also below the weight limit so it does not need to be registered which is a bonus.

Thanks guys. Here is my plan:
I ordered a Husban nano Q4. Next will be the Syma X11. After that perhaps the X4 or go with a custom build. I'm looking to get the QAV-X frame...options in 3 and 4mm.
Lumenier 30A BLHel opto 2-4s (ESC)
Lumenier RB 2204-13 2500 Skitzo motors

That's where I'm at right now. I have more componets picked out but have more reading and researching to do. HPIguy thanks for mentioning to do a custom build. I can get far superior componets than what most of these RTF rigs come with. My only draw back at this time is that I completely suck at soldering. I will have to find someone that can assist with that and help with the layout.

Last edited:
Practice your soldering skills before you tackle your project, it'll pay off in the end result.
Quads are an addictive hobbie, my trucks have been sitting since getting the Quads.

Don't forget about having to register the drone with the FAA regulations etc... That may be another concern for you as a new pilot. Its not a big deal to do it but it's Def not something you want to overlook either!

Def agree about the iron! Quality tools are an absolute must IMO! Doesn't matter if it's repairing sunglasses or replacing a motor in your 1:1! Tool failure is such a disappointment and it will NEVER happen when it is 'convenient'!!!

What is the annual cost to register? last i heard it was a mere 5 bucks.

I've just about finallized my quad selection. It has changed slightly.

QUA-X frame
Kiss FC ESC...
Kiss 24A Receiver
(EMAX, Lumenier, Cobra motors.. still debating these)
HS1177 camera
PowerOSD 2 PBD
TBS Truimph Antenna

Now checking on TX's...Goggles.

What lipo charger would you recommend?
Not too pricey

I don't know about cost. It was my thought that if you're buying your first, you may choose to go for a size small enough to not have to register them at all.
If you do go bigger, it's just something you DONT want to forget to do.;)
Seems like you're well on your way to having a larger drone picked out anyways. I'd love to see a build thread for it and DEF some vids of it flying!
Good luck!!! :thumbs-up:

That looks like a nice build list. I personally would go with a CC3D flight controller, as they can be tuned to be very docile or very wild, it's up to you. Not to mention, you already said you're not great at soldering, and soldering to those small pads on the FC is not where I'd recommend learning. You accidentally bridge two of those, might be bye bye flight controller. I'm a big fan of Tiger motors as well, they cost a bit more, but very well made and have some serious punch.

Check out the FrSky Taranis radio setup. It's highly regarded in the multi rotor community, and can't be touched for the cost. I've been running a FrSky module in my Futaba T8UAF and RX's in my quads for years, never had an issue. Can't say the same about some of the big brands.

I'm a big fan of iChargers and a good power supply. A charger and PSU is one of those areas you truly get what you pay for.

Racing drones are usually around 250mm so, I'd say yes.

I would build but I feel like I have forgotten so much about this hobby...been away way too long. My rides are sitting on the shelf screaming at me to take them out and run them...i will probably sell them.
But the drones are a whole new world to me. They have come a long way from what I last saw. Thanks for the insight about Walkera. I will stay away from that company.
I sold all my RC's a while ago. I have been a member since 2003 and was a mod for a while. Anyways I came back because I recently bought a DJI Spark and I'm loving it but I don't know how to use all the features yet. Drones sure have come a long way in the last 5yrs or so that's for sure! So Walkera is a bad brand to stay away from huh?