Racetrack size for multiple scales

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krimy123

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Flying
So I am wondering. I own a big piece of land in an area where there is no RC racetrack nearby. I am thinking of building one inside a barn like a 10-16 000 square foot racetrack.
My question is : if I were to do it , could 1/10 and 1/8th be able to race on the same track ( not together ) or should I build one for the 1/8th and one for the 1/10th ???
I haven't started anything yet , I am just looking for information and things that I could do. I am ready on different tracks layout and stuff like that but I don't know if I could do only 1 track per type of flooring ( dirt / carpet / crawling ) .... or should I do one for each scale + each type of flooring ???

Thanks

Okay and should I do like a dirt one and a carpet one ? Or only one of the 2 would be good enough ?

M&M Raceway in Bellaire, Texas used to have a track suitable for both 1/10 and 1/8 events. It was 55 x 115ft loose clay.

Track had shaded pit area with tables, shaded driver stand and shaded spectator viewing area. It was attached to the hobby shop and was my favorite track of six in the Houston area back '03-'05 when I was racing nitro bug. It featured a moto cross type starting gate.

Image is of the track with my DuraTrax 1/8 nitro on a practice day. Me at the driver stand on the top right. Fun times. 'AC'

0723141119a_resize RCT.jpg

Last edited:
It’s simply that my barn is around 80 X 200 feet so if I were to do like 2 tracks they would be around 65-70 X 100 ….. where as if I could do one suitable for both it would be a 65-70 X 200 so a lot bigger and a lot more challenges

1/10 and 1/8, 2 different animals. i want to see this both in 1 track when complete..

Id say it depends on how much work you want to put in maintaining them. Technically you should have 1 for 1/8 and 1 for 1/10 but if you dont want to maintain 2 different tracks then just build one for 1/8th and run 1/10 on it also. As for dirt or carpet it just depends on what you want to run on. 🤷‍♂️

I used to run on a track that was for both scales and they had a couple of sections that had bypasses for one or the other, left at the Y for 1/10 and right for 1/8. For races they would block off one side or the other.

The main differences between the 2 would be like the jump length and drops ? From what I’ve seen online everyone seems to say that it needs to be about 12 to 14 feet wide as far as the actual lanes are , but 1/8 would have “bigger” jumps or at least the landing spot would be further ? Or am I completely wrong assuming so ?

I thought that 1/10 scale track werent quite as long either but I could be mistaken. I'm not a racer and I've only ever played around on 1/8 scale tracks

so the main question I need to ask myself is , should I offer 1/8th track in my area simply because there is none , I mean there is a 1/10th about 1h30-2h away from my place , but it's so small ..... I have a hard time thinking that it's competitive ..... I keep looking on the internet at different sizes and different tracks and I see those massive ones and they look amazing

so the main question I need to ask myself is , should I offer 1/8th track in my area simply because there is none , I mean there is a 1/10th about 1h30-2h away from my place , but it's so small ..... I have a hard time thinking that it's competitive ..... I keep looking on the internet at different sizes and different tracks and I see those massive ones and they look amazing
Sounds like you have a business in the making :)

Yeah well I am thinking about making it a small business simply so we can have a place to play and have fun , but yeah I’m just trying to figure out what I would actually need to be doing

If you are going to build a track one issue is dirt is more work. Carpet is simpler. I/8 scale cars/tuggies tear up the track. With 1/8 are you going to allow nitro? If so that eleimantes carpet indoors. If you build a track for both 1/10 and 1/8 then you have to build a big track to accommodate 1/8. Stand alone r/c tracks don't survive without a supporting hobby shop or some other business. 1/10 scale carpet is the simplest. There's no dirt to move around. If it it's a smooth surface you an run on road cars on carpet,

Stand alone r/c tracks don't survive without a supporting hobby shop or some other business.
While this may be generally true its not an absolute. Clinton Country RC Raceway which is about an hour from where I live is a stand alone RC 1/8 scale dirt track out in the middle of no where and has been there for years with no supporting hobby shop

It depends on your area and what.is popular, but in general I would strongly suggest 1/10. One of the reasons is that racing is no cheap by any means but 1/10 is significantly cheaper even if you buy top of the line kits and electronics, and on top of that, most people have 10 scale cars already, so they can start with something cheap like slash, rustler, senton. Also keep in mind you need at least some space for pit tables, can't make entire barn racetrack with no room for tables
Okay and should I do like a dirt one and a carpet one ? Or only one of the 2 would be good enough ?
It depends if you have any equipment. Me personally I prefer clay. But carpet is easier. What I would do is combination. Flat clay track, so you don't have to maintain it a lot and ramps made out of wood and carpet, so you can easily change track every 3 or 3 weeks just by moving ramps.
I am not an expert but I believe that they use special clay, not just regular dirt. This was impact rc where I use to go but they closed last year. This year someone else opened at the same location but carpet. It takes couple guys working 2 days and a bunch of equipment to change the track, and they use to do it every 3 weeks. Also It takes a lot of knowledge to make a good dirt track. The owner use to work at famous leisure hours raceway that unfortunately also closed a while ago

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1667674429186.jpg
    FB_IMG_1667674429186.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20221105-135840.png
    Screenshot_20221105-135840.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
While this may be generally true its not an absolute. Clinton Country RC Raceway which is about an hour from where I live is a stand alone RC 1/8 scale dirt track out in the middle of no where and has been there for years with no supporting hobby shop
It all depends if you're trying to open a track as a business. I belong to a 1/8 scale club for years that had a nice track on a farm. But, we weren't trying to make a profit.

It all depends if you're trying to open a track as a business. I belong to a 1/8 scale club for years that had a nice track on a farm. But, we weren't trying to make a profit.
Well, I guess thats true. CCRCR just makes enough to pay for maintenance and pay for the property

general rule of thumb is 10' wide lanes for 1/10 cars and 12' wide lanes for 1/8

Not uncommon to see many 1/10 dirt tracks allow 1/8 eBuggy

Many 1/8 tracks I visit will create jumps/features to be friendly for both 1/10 and 1/8 where the 1/8 will clear a large triple, but the 1/10 cars will do a double-single as an example.

It’s simply that my barn is around 80 X 200 feet so if I were to do like 2 tracks they would be around 65-70 X 100 ….. where as if I could do one suitable for both it would be a 65-70 X 200 so a lot bigger and a lot more challenges

Instead of side-by-side, arrange one inside the other - an inner track with lots of turns, and an outer track with a long straightaway, or even have a "third" arrangement that makes use of both.

Back