pullstart

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackshepherd39

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
PLEASE can someone help me as my pullstart will not retract, what shall i do as i am close to giving up and selling it to buy a electric touring car

You most likely need to take it apart and rewind it. Rope probably pulled out or your OWB locked up and you need a new OWB

what is a OWB

One way bearing. It grabs the crank shaft when you yank the rope, then spins free once the engine is running.

If you end up taking your pull starter off, be VERY careful when you take the plate off. Inside that is a coiled band that will pop in your face and will have a HELL of a time re-winding it.

I dont think its your OWB, if it was your rope would pull freely and retract fine, but your engine wouldnt crank.

Sometimes they Freeze up and won't move either way.

15+ years in the hobby and i have never had one completely freeze up.

Normally happens when a motor is overheated enough for the plastic in them to melt or they get dirt in them. It is very rare but does happen from time to time. I have seen it twice in all my time in RC.

i never knew owning a nitro touring car was so hard, i have only owned it for a week.

The nitro side is WAY more involved than the electric, I think nitro makes it more of a hobby being as you have to constantly tinker and tweak on them. Once you get everything sorted out and running, you'll love it.

At least nitro gives you more or less the same sound as a real car.. And once you're hooked on the smell of burnt nitro, well then its to late. You're pull start should have 3 allen key bolts, remove them and you're pullstart slowly, most of the time just moving it will free up what ever got stuck and just tighten it again.

There is nothing like the smell of nitro in the morning. ;)

try to loosen it and see if it retracts if so then it is not the pullstart, thats what happened to me .but the owb was not gummed up .

ok i lied saw the pullstart siting on my desk and gave it a pull and it would not retract at a normal speed.My theary (can't spell) is that the fuel seeps into the pullstart and over time the string gets gummed up . and cleaning them sucks( takeing them apart) .Can anyone give me an idea of what will clean the gumm off the string without damageing the string. Simple green or greased lightning?

If/when a pull start string gets saturated with fuel/oil I replace the string.
On every string I have replaced for many years I apply a coat of bow string wax (You can find it at almost all sporting good stores).
Before installing the string tie one end off to a stationary object and pull it taught. Rub the wax on the string and then with a piece of waxed paper folded many times wrap it over the string and rub. The friction will melt the wax into the string and help prevent it from becoming saturated, it also acts as a lubricant and helps keep the string from chafing. I re-apply the wax every so often when the string looks dry.

I use the rope from old mini blinds for pull start cord. Much cheaper than buying it in the LHS.

Mine wasn't soaked at all, so not sure as to what caused it on mine, but it was on a .18 vertex motor.

Last edited: