Pull starters... (sigh), anyone try a better design?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Just thought I'd start a thread considering we have a few guys here with the knowledge, machines, material and ability to make parts as they think them up.

Has anyone attempted to ditch the typical one-way bearing/starter mechanism and tried to make a starter like a weed eater or chain saw?

I can see it in my head, but I lack the tools proper "stuff" to do anything about it. I searched the Internet for about an hour looking for chain saw pull starts and a diagram so I could post one, but to no avail, I can't find anything clear enough to get my point across.

Some chainsaws/weed eaters use a spring loaded pawl type mechanism as a starting catch. Once the engine starts, the pawls swing out and away from the starter wheel.

I mean, my dad has a chainsaw that is 30 years old. I'm currently trying to find a ignition coil for it, but the only issues he's had with it in 30 years is loosing a carb screw, the ignition coil failing this year and the occasional chain/bar. Believe me, we cut many, many, many truckloads of wood. That saw has been started more times in it's life than I dare count. But do you know what's never needed anything but a little oil and an occasional cleaning? The pull starter mechanism. 30 YEARS!

The reasons this issue is one I personally care about is due to the fact that we are forced to deal with a really crappy design in the RC world and I just spent $30 on an OS one way. Short of going with a zenoa, you either have a starter box (impossible on a stock savage), or some kind of starter that uses a one way bearing.

:preachin:
Are we not in the 21st century? Isn't it about time the RC industry found a better way to start an engine with a pull start? I think so.
:preachin:

There, I'm done.

Last edited:
Me and my dad we trying to figure out a better way that the One way bearing also. My dad (whos a machinest) thought that was one of the chinsiest things he's ever seen and couple believe it worked, and also as good as it did. I found it easier to just stick with my ez start. Yeah its another thing to carry, but its one less headache I have to worry about. The pullstarts were a HUGE pain in my ass. If its not the recoil its the one way bearing, if not the bearing it was the recoil.. It was a lose lose sitation for me.

Get your dad back on it!

It is surprising that it works as well as it does, but this one way only lasted a gallon. Really ticked me off. The one in my other OS 21 Rg is on gallon 6 and doesn't slip nearly as bad.

I don't have an easy start option. It isn't like I have to pull the starter more the 3-5 times to get it running, so the pull start isn't an issue. Just the longevity and durability of the setup.

Thanks for the input though. It lets me know I'm not alone on my soapbox!

Start

I have put a little thought into this and it can be done with out a one way. Back in the days a long long time ago before cars had starters example model A Ford had a hand crank that was similar to a roto start shaft but on the female side it had a bevel so you could only turn it one way. After the engine started it pushed the crank handel back out. If you guys think there would be a big enough demand for this I will design and build one . There are quite a few different ways you could do it even extending the shaft that comes out the rear of the engine and installing a cone like airplanes use. The best thing to do would be to retrofit your starter box to work because any thing you have to add for starting purposes will take some power away

Back