pull start over starter box

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky19

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I was recommended to buy a pull start cuz the starter boxes are "the devil". I have a stock HPI .12 motor. Do they just slap on or do i have to get another 12cr engine with the capability to put one on?

It depends if your engine is compatible with the pull start you are getting.

What you will need is to either change out your flywheel AND/OR get the Non-pullstart engine mounts. Not sure what flywheel you have but more than likely the outer diameter of the flywheel is not going to be wide enough for a starterbox. I remember changing my flywheel on my GS Storm to allow me to use a starterbox if my pullstart didn't work. Since I bash I could care less about the extra weight.

Actually jon2, he wanted to change from a starter-box to a pull-start.

Hmm..brain working backwards. Then you will have to buy the pullstart that fits AND/OR Pullstart engine mounts. More than likely you will have to buy the different mounts. But the flywheel will still work. Just remember that the size/weight of the flywheel will alter the idle/and engagemet of the clutch since they are going to be different.

Your brain must be bass ackwards:yes:

Last edited:
He'll have to actually buy a bunch of parts....

To convert from starter box (also known as bump start) to pull start, you'll need:

- pull start engine mounts for the model (part number should be in the manual)
- pull start flywheel (see the manual for part number)
- backplate
- one way bearing
- starter shaft
- pull start

After totaling the cash up, you might be wiser to sell the engine and get a pull start version of it, or something similar.

if your engine came stock for the starter box, then if you want to change from a starter box to a pullstart you will need

a different backplate
and a new crankshaft

when you start to dissasemble your engine you will see why.
it would be extremely long and difficult to fully explain it by typing...

or if your engine is compatible for a pullstart and you have just bought your engine or something, go buy a pullstart for your engine from your lhs it should be around 20 dollars or so.

actually heartbreak got it down all ready, but still you may not need all of what he said...
but i may be wrong
conversions are a big deal, and require alot of parts, patience, time
and be sure to look for ways around things you dont nessecarily have to buy.

or else yopu will waste money to realize later that the part you already had was compatible.

hope i could help.!!!!

pullstarters are teh devil...bump box is the way to go....less drag on your engine, lighter anad better handling, no more blisters....if you set your box up right it will start alot easier with a box......

The only good thing about pull starts are that they don't require any battery packs, like bump boxes and roto starts. But they do give you blisters.

Pull starts are the way to go IMO. If your engine is tuned right (which it should be anyways) then the PS is so much easier than anything else. All you need is a glow ignitor and you can start the engine anywhere, unlike a bump start where you have to bring it to the box to start it.

Yeah, I want to put one on my MT12 but I think I just wasted money on the starter box.

ya, Cupooterluvr is right i never get blisters...
if your engine is tuned right and you pulled it like three times with your finger over the exhaust to prime it then it should start within the next 1 - 2 pulls

i always have my axial .28 on my lst tuned perfect and it always starts for me in 1 - 2 pulls (without priming!)

Yep. Today I fired up my Picco .26 for the first time in a month and it only took me like 3 pulls after priming it.