Pull start not always "catching"

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah... might as well. Hopefully I can get it shipped at the same time as the reverse module that I've been waiting for for a month

Yes! It Def looks like you made good progress! Clean, inspect, lubricate, install... You are doing great with the process! Thanks for the pics! Keep em coming!!!:thumbs-up:

Could have been even cleaner but enough is enough :) Got MOST of the pollen and crap that was all over the rear. Also, I'm pretty sure denatured alcohol is the same thing as nail polish removed (at least it smells like it). I was wondering if I should have swished my bearings around in it too but I just wiped off the outsides of them. New pull starter and cleaned out OWB feels good. Can't wait to let er rip again! [yes I lined it up thanks]

Nail polish remover is acetone, the bearing SHOULD be cleaned out with a good degreaser... Brake cleaner for a 1:1 car works great. There should be no gritty feeling in the bearing and it should move very freely. A light oil (like a light mobile 1 oil) on the bearing will keep it running well for you. I hope it all works out well for you! Good luck!

I put a little 3in1 oil on and around the bearing, hope that's okay. I'm assuming most of the oil in there when I opened it up was from fuel so it should relubricate itself. It really didn't feel bad even before I cleaned it just seeing if I could get the shaft to rotate when it wasn't supposed to, but obviously it was slipping somehow when I actually pulled the starter. I couldn't get it to slip once after reassembling so either way it's better and I still have the replacement shaft and bearing just in case.

I put a little 3in1 oil on and around the bearing, hope that's okay. I'm assuming most of the oil in there when I opened it up was from fuel so it should relubricate itself. It really didn't feel bad even before I cleaned it just seeing if I could get the shaft to rotate when it wasn't supposed to, but obviously it was slipping somehow when I actually pulled the starter. I couldn't get it to slip once after reassembling so either way it's better and I still have the replacement shaft and bearing just in case.

The o-way bearings tend to build up an oily residue film inside them from the fuel that causes them to slip!
All that's required ,is a good cleaning every now & then ,unless they are litterely wore out or the needle bearing
retainer is broken..
Nice work on the old one though!...:thumbs-up:

cool! Thanks! Yeah I had an "aha" moment when I realized it had a bunch of little rollers on the inside which stick when it turns one way and not the other. I guess if the shaft and rollers get too greasy it will let it slip in both directions instead of only the one it is supposed to! I get it!

cool! Thanks! Yeah I had an "aha" moment when I realized it had a bunch of little rollers on the inside which stick when it turns one way and not the other. I guess if the shaft and rollers get too greasy it will let it slip in both directions instead of only the one it is supposed to! I get it!

O-way's are a little different from a pull starter an one that's in a transmission on their job!
I run a greaseless tranny in my Mgt. because the grease or lube will leach in on the o-way
bearing an fry it.
But a pull starter ,theres not enough constant slippage to fry it!...:cool:

O-way's are a little different from a pull starter an one that's in a transmission on their job!
I run a greaseless tranny in my Mgt. because the grease or lube will leach in on the o-way
bearing an fry it.
But a pull starter ,theres not enough constant slippage to fry it!...:cool:

No, but there is a lot of heat and high rpm's that make it spin in the free direction. Over time, the race/springs tend to wear down which make it not lock real well when you want it to. Also, the internal ones are constantly coated with oil from the fuel. Cleaning them usually gets them working again for a while. I find that they work better if the engine is at 80F or so.

Yes, the light oil coat during reassembly provides lube/protection in the beginning. The oil in the fuel does work Its way down to that while area and thru that bearing. Because of its location and that they are a single seal bearing sealed on the outside, the oil gives the initial protection and makes it function properly. The 3 in 1 should be ok. I am not familiar with what temps the 3 in 1 breaks down at but I think between the oil and the fuel, you'll be just fine.