Propellor position

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericehess

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm upgrading my Vector SR48 with a bigger shaft and 35mm metal prop(plus 4000kv motor and 60A quickrun esc) and ran into an issue. The prop will hit the rudder on big turns. I can either cut the driveshaft and outside driveshaft sleeve a quarter inch or find a way to extend a bit and have prop past the rudder. Is it a bad idea to have the propellor past the rudder? Will this cause poor turning or excessive shaking and overall instability? I'd rather not cut part of the boat off if I dont have to. Thanks for any info.

I look at ways to extend rudder arm bracket so I can move rudder beyond props you can have prop past rudder ..having a rudder past prop is easier it will also increase the way it turns it should make boat turn sharper..

Last edited:
I look at ways to extend rudder arm bracket so I can move rudder beyond props you can have prop past rudder ..having a rudder past prop is easier it will also increase the way it turns it should make boat turn sharper..
Thanks for the info, I figured that was not a good idea bit wanted to be sure. I think moving the rudder out would be more difficult than shortening the driveshaft.

Never mind, got the esc connections soldered and hooked up the receiver and servo and the rudder wont hit the prop..have a quarter inch to spare at full turn..sweet! Thanks