Project: Speed & Durability

• Thread starter Thunder_tiger_eb4
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder_tiger_eb4

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Yes, Its a 1/8 scale Nitro Buggy, that is being built for speed and upgraded with a lot of "original" hop up parts and some "Specific" after market parts.

Heres what she looks like at present w/out the body shell on (had just been run in a local "field", hence the dirt coating it) and YES, that IS a supercharger mounted in front of the engine :p:

Personally, i tend to think that it is not too shabby for a UK based r/c'er, especially having had to import some of the spares and upgrades required, with more to import.

S1051322.gif

Project Base :

Thunder Tiger EB4 S2 Pro 1/8 Scale Nitro Buggy
.21 Size Engine
Stick Type Radio on 27Mhz Band

Total Base Vehicle Cost = £279.99

Factory Hop Ups:

Chassis

£ 39.99 Ergal Light Chassis Type B

Front "Clip"

Ergal Fr Plate Fr Trans
Ergal Rr Plate Fr Trans
Ergal Fr Shock Tower
Fr Sway Bar Kit 2.3mm Light Aqua
Ergal Front Knuckles
Ergal Fr Upper Arm Mounts (Not yet Fitted)
Ball Universal Drive Shaft, Front
Carbide Front Upper Arm Pins

Rear "Clip"

Ergal Fr Plate Rr Trans
Ergal Rr Shock Tower
Rr Sway Bar Kit 2.3mm Light Aqua
Ball Universal Drive Shaft, Front
Carbide Rear Hub Pins
Titanium Rear Upper Arm Turnbuckles (Robbed from prior vehicle)

DriveTrain

Center Differential Kit
Steel Maingear 46t
Ball Universal Dive Shaft, Center, Front
Ball Universal Dive Shaft, Center, Rear
Full Ball Bearing Upgrade Kit (From Bronze Bushes)

After Market "Upgrades"

Engine & Accessories

O.S 30VG .30 Size Engine
Nova RC Cooling Head (Imported)
Thunder Tiger Pro .70 3 Needle Composite Body Carburettor
RB Innovations Supercharger with 50% overdrive Pulley & RB Innovations Custom Flywheel (Imported)
RB Innovations Supercharger Auxillery Pressure Kit
Nova RC Aluminium Clutch Shoes (Imported)
Fastrax Alloy Exhaust Header
RC-One Skull & Crossbone Air Filter (Imported)

Radio Equipment

Futaba 40Mhz Pistol Radio set **** Updated To Spektrum DX3 ****
Futaba S3305 High Torque Metal Gear Servo's
Polished Aluminium Servo Horns (Imported)
Knightwing Failsafe with Low voltage Cutoff
5 cell 1050mah rechargable receiver battery pak

"General" Upgrades

Thunder Tiger EB4 S3 Lite Wheel Nuts
Pro-Line White Wing Kit
Kustom "Cork" brake pads
Exhaust Coupler Clamps
JE Spares Lightweight Screw Kit
EB4 S3 Lower Suspension Arm Set
Tornado Fuel Filter Anodised "Titanium" colour

"Unseen" Upgrades-----------------

50,000wt Rear Diff Oil
10,000wt Centre Diff Oil
10,000wt Front Diff Oil

Ported & polished Piston Liner & Polished Piston

Total Overall Cost To Date (Minus Cost Of Buggy) = £ 941.69 :whhooo:

Total Overall Cost To Date (Plus Cost Of Buggy) = £ 1121.68 :whhooo: :whhooo:

And people say I don't have money ?? :hehe: :p:

Further Mods that i have in mind are;

RB Innovations NOS Kit
Nova RC Alluminium Diff cups
Thunder Tiger optional 48t Main gear
Buku Neutral Exhaust System
Spektrum 2.4ghz Radio Set >> Purchased :p:

Also to fit are the remaining T/Tiger factory upgrades

I'm looking for advice on any other upgrades suitable for this buggy, as it's going to be with me for sometime to come and it is going to move itself out of its own way pretty rapidly hence the bullet proofing of the drivetrain with aluminum diff cups.

**** EDIT @ 8 / MARCH / 2009 TO INCLUDE PARTS LISTING ****

Last edited:
Further Mods that i have in mind, is;

RB Innovations NOS Kit
Nova RC Alluminium Diff cups
Thunder Tiger optional 48t Main gear
Buku Neutral Exhaust System
Spektrum 2.4ghz Radio Set

Ditch the stuff in bold. Not worth their weight in paper for your application.

Not worried about engine life, can upgrade to a new mill every month if needed.

Why ditch the NOS kit and buku ?? i'm going for speed, and I'm not going to be running this on grass, or mud, but ashphalt.

Besides, whats wrong with the supercharger ? it evens out the engine performance and the engine runs in its own "Environment" so to speak so is less susceptible to weather or altitude. It's done no harm so far

Last edited:
ditch the supercharger that you have on there to...it will just shorten the life of the engine

Yeah, what he said ^^. I didn't even notice that there. There really are no efficent ways to boost power in these little 2-stroke engines outside of the engine itself. Most people agree that things like boost bottles, superchargers and N2O do little to add power and even if they do (as I believe the N2O does more than anything else) it still plays havoc with the tune of the engine and thus is not very efficient.

*edit*

If your not concerned with engine life then running the N2O would be fun for sure but I still don't have any faith in the supercharger for a 2-stroke. You would get better performance by simply putting a high performance .28 in there.

Last edited:
Not worried about engine life, can upgrade to a new mill every month if needed.

Why ditch the NOS kit and buku ?? i'm going for speed, and I'm not going to be running this on grass, or mud, but ashphalt.

Besides, whats wrong with the supercharger ? it evens out the engine performance and the engine runs in its own "Environment" so to speak so is less susceptible to weather or altitude. It's done no harm so far

ok so i'm guessing your rich if you can upgrade every month??...if so can i have a lone lol...

nitro engines run on compresion just like the 9500hp engines that the top fuel dragsters and funny cars run..when you add a supercharger to a two stroke engine it is actually worse for it because when the piston goes down the super charger pushes air and fuel out the exaust there for taking away fuel efficentcy and engine life because it will run the engine way to lean...that is the only reason that it makes more power on a 2 stroke engine is because it runs the engine lean..you could have just saved yourself $150 and leaned out the carberater...i think

Errrr............. $150 ??? try nearer $180 for the supercharger.

I tried the lean mix trick, but could not get the performance i get with the charger on there, besides which the engine temps shot through the roof. See your point about the charger tho.... still, i'm happy with it at moment, can always take it off at a later date if neccesary.

No, i'm not rich, i'm just in a good financial position.

As to fitting a .28, i already have a .30 (O.S) and i was looking to go up in engine size, not down.

Oh, you posted that your base was a .21 engine that's why I suggested you could bump up to a .28.

Project Base, yeah, it Was a .21, blew the conrod apart winning a £150 drag challenge !!! Engine was Screeeeeeeming, then Silence, just the other side of the finish thank god. That little win paid for most of the new .30 i fitted !!

My missus wasn't pleased, she didn't know i was going out to race !!! went nuts when i told her i blew the engine, then laughed her butt off when i told her i had just won £150. only had to put extra £10 to the money to get the engine !!!!

what ya need then ?? lol :hehe:

lol, what ya sellin then thats worth 250 ?? :hehe:

Do you think this would fit the buggy ??

22t Clutch Bell

i'm already using MGT aluminum clutch shoes.

I'm not happy about the ratio as it ii not exactly what i was looking for, which was a 20t clutch bell. It gives an "internal" ratio of 2.090:1 though....so maybe it would be better.

(or to be precise 2:0909090909090909090909090909091:1 which is actually nearer to 2.091:1 !!!!)

Last edited:
We'll see bartek, We'll see. Just as soon as i get that N20 on there, I'm getting a vid !!!

Back