Project Senton Slider

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahr43

Hardcore RCTalk User
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ebay buy. Arrma Senton 2WD slider. Not sure how this project will develop, other than I wanted a newer chassis to replace my aging 20 y.o. Rustler. Thinking I might try some manner of rally package.

Seeing Horizon Hobby is already offering a selection of upgrades for the 'Boost' package. That's a good thing. Be another money pit, I guess. :eek:

Stick around. More to come. Cheers. 'AC'

20230504_162442_resize RCT.jpg

Hey guys. Slider is a roller now. Fit up a set of P-L Gladiator pre-mounts using the supplied 14mm hex inserts. Amain had the 14mm P-L aluminum hex on close out sale. Bought a set but haven't fit those up yet.

Steering servo is ProTek PTK-100T at 173/216 oz torque. Optional Arrma AR340151 25T spline servo saver a direct fit replacement for the stock 23T saver.
Spektrum SR-215 receiver rounds out the radio system package. Did the bind to my reliable DX4C transmitter set to model #4.

Not using double side tape on the receiver. Makes it hard to get the receiver out of the tight-quarters box. Instead glued in a 1/16in neoprene pad to dampen chassis vibrations and set the receiver in place on top of the pad. Holding it tightly in place by packing the box with open cell foam padding before securing the lid on.

After watching the video on the metal slipper boost box install, got schooled on removing the electronics module and properly routing the antenna wire. So had a re-do there to get it right.

Thanks for looking in. Cheers, mates. 'AC'

20230521_153924_resize RCT.jpg

Body's here. Arrma ARA402313 Clear. I like it comes with both window masks as well as window stickers. Any good aspiring RC rally car, in this case truck, needs driven wheel mud flaps. Cut a pair from an acrylic kitchen knife mat. Red, of course, to match the Arrma theme. Went with medium pre-load spacers on the RR shocks for a bit more tire clearance. Still considering a trim on the RR wheel flares. Oh, and did the install on the P-L aluminum 14mm hexes just to ensure body clearance there as well.

Motor installed. Spektrum 4000Kv 3650. Think it'll eventually want something like a 3300/3660 and 5mm pinion shaft. For now will try the 4000. Be a 2S power unit package for now. Staying with the 17T pinion for test. Fan is HR MH550TE02. Have one on the MT10 and like it so it gets the call for Senton.

Cheers, mates. 'AC'

20230606_103006_resize RCT.jpg

20230606_102947_resize RCT.jpg

20230606_103118_resize RCT.jpg

Hotter than blazes in the workshop all week. 100degF+ on the wall thermometer. Did bite the bullet and get something done today.

Picked up a package of 2032 button batteries to refresh a pair of Schwinn bicycle LED running lights for the Senton rally project. White light up front and red at the rear. The lights have three option settings: steady, flashing and rapid flash.

Kinda got used to having LED lights on the MT10 so wanted to include a set out of the basher box on the Senton. They did previous duty on the Rustler when it was pace truck on the backyard grass track oval. Also found a back-up of round LEDs, same application, I forgot I had.

Thanks for looking in. Cheers. 'AC'

20230624_121246_resize RCT.jpg

20230624_121438_resize RCT.jpg

20230624_121402_resize RCT.jpg

Body paining is done. Four rattle cans of metallic blue and can and-a-half of silver backup. Now just have to get her stickered up. Will need to cut-and-fit a Subaru-style yellow swope. Haven't quite figured out which of the many styles Subara uses or which will look best and fit best.

Cheers. 'AC'

20230708_133912_resize RCT.jpg

20230708_133833_resize RCT.jpg

Change of project plans. Know SCT is a popular platform, but personally cannot warm to full fender on this project. Going to try going the open-wheel buggy route.

Have an Arrma buggy body and mounts on order. Looking at the exploded parts pages on both models, 'think' (fingers crossed) they'll fit.

Spent the morning sweating in the shade fabricating a wing mount for the existing monkey bar set up at the rear of the chassis. Already had an Arrma wing from a previous project. That and two nylon clamps, a handful of fasteners and a piece of aluminum angle and the Beta is done. More to do to finish it out, but for now o.k.

While at it fit up my P-L Demolisher MT tires just for grins to see how it would look. Going for post-apoplectic Road Warrior theme-a favorite of mine.

And the beat goes on. . .

Cheers. 'AC'

20230715_112806_resize RCT.jpg

20230715_112817_resize RCT.jpg

20230715_112842_resize RCT.jpg

Body paining is done. Four rattle cans of metallic blue and can and-a-half of silver backup. Now just have to get her stickered up. Will need to cut-and-fit a Subaru-style yellow swope. Haven't quite figured out which of the many styles Subara uses or which will look best and fit best.

Cheers. 'AC'

View attachment 168499

View attachment 168500
She came out incredible. I love the color.

Thanks TP. That Metallic Blue goes to the top of my favorites list. Takes a while to shoot it. Many, many light coats instead of one or two heavy. Have to keep holding it up to the light to check for even cover. Lots of chasing light spots about, but worth the effort. Left a clear RR window area too.

Holding back on stickering for now. Will probably end up Ebaying it out. Dunno. Waiting to see how this latest open-wheel project plays out. :)

Cheers. 'AC'

Finished with the wing mount this morning. Just in time too as the thermometer in the workshop touched 90degF. The 'too hot to work zone'.

Didn't round off the square edges like I usually do. Normally use a belt sander and it's still NIB, unpacked. Too lazy to do the unpack and assembly today. Do the pick up on the bracket in the fall when its cooler.

Turned out a good sturdy mount, but with the ability to swing up and away under impact. Might save a wing or two.

As a project she's not finished by a long shot yet, but just had to get an image of her in the rough. Cheers. 'AC'

20230716_095451_resize RCT.jpg

20230716_101628_resize RCT.jpg

20230716_103815_resize RCT.jpg

20230716_105723_resize RCT.jpg

Typhon body and body mounts work well. Had to sub in a pair of DuraTrax 1" body posts on the rear mount temporarily. They fit perfectly and could actually use them. But opted for a set of Arrma posts. Already on order and in the mail. RR body mount comes w/o posts. Guess 'cause they fit so many different models?

I'm liken this more and more. She'll be a good 3S'er-eventually. Cheers. 'AC'

20230717_130002_resize RCT.jpg

20230717_125951_resize RCT.jpg

20230717_125919_resize RCT.jpg

Time for a project update. Senton graduates with honors from roller to runner with this morning's shake-down session out front of the house.

50% throttle runs. Fwd-Brk-Rev check. Stg trim adjust. 29kph (18mph) displays on the speed meter. Checking that install as well. Gearing Senton 2WD factory 17/91 for 5.35. Power unit is 2S x 5000 100C, 85A ESC, 4000Kv 3650 sensorless motor. Radio system is DX4C with ProTec 100T 194oz/in steering servo. Tires Pro-Line Demolishers on Raid wheels w/AL 14mm inserts. Wt R-T-R 6.1lb (107oz; 3035g).

Body is Arrma Typhon 3S 4x4 buggy. Cheers. 'AC'

20230731_082853_resize RCT.jpg

20230731_082803_resize RCT.jpg

20230731_083201_resizxe RCT.jpg

20230731_082959_resize RCT.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the like, David. And for the rest looking in too. Not certain where this build will go. Leaning toward an all-out 2S build. At least now have a platform heavy enough to stay grounded. That might be fun. Lengthening the 2024 season speed runs out to 200ft rolling start from 132ft.

Did fabricate a front ballast weight as a contingency. 1/2 x x1/2 x 3 1/2in steel keystock attached with 1/4in SS hardware. It comes in at 4.1oz (116g). Didn't use it on today's shake-down but will fit it for the "official" run come October season opener. It needs to be on even if not needed to establish a baseline speed.

Cheers. 'AC'

20230728_113024_resize RCT.jpg

20230728_112527_resize AF.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a YT walk-around on today's back yard shakedown of the Senton. 60% power with 2S x 5300 60C LiPo. 85A ESC feeding volts to a 3650 4000Kv sensorless BL. Geared 17/91. Not exactly earth-shattering speed. 18kph (~11mph). Pretty tight in the back yard for a 1/8 scale. Good news is temps were down on both the ESC and motor in heavy grass running. That's what I really wanted to find out. Cheers. 'AC'

Last edited:
Clearly Crazy II in the house! Did a soapy water wash, peeled off the protective film and stickered up my spare Typhon body in the clear.

Always been a chassis guy and like seeing the internals. That and could not decide on how to paint this body. So for now, clear she is. Actually had a ST (aka Clearly Crazy I) back '04-'05. That set the precedent. And seeing 83TJC's avatar on his Dumas Swamp Buggy build brought back memories as well.

20230804_080436_resize RCT.jpg

Love the clear body. 😍
Thanks, Doom!

There's more history behind this. Back '98 when first getting into RC was posted to S. Korea/Seoul. Just outside the downtown gate was a hobby shop, with second floor the Tamiya Distributor for Korea. Perusing the displays of the available Tamiya's, they all had clear bodies to better show the inner workings of the models. Told myself, "Someday I'm gonna do that-just for fun."

Cheers. 'AC'

On-the-bench running light vid for this project. From the Schwinn bicycle accessory rack at WalMart. Internal button batteries and three patterns: steady on, slow and rapid flash. Attaches to the FR and RR monkey bar bumpers with rubber strap and hook assembly.

Indeed my old eyes need all the help they can get when the truck is at the end points of a speed run. Esp. on the LimVis days of fall and winter when my RCs run the most.

Ran a similar RR light on my RC electric top fuel dragster back in the day. Hard to judge attitude of a 1/10th car 120ft down track in the speed trap. If the flashing RR light was not visible, knew the car was not tracking straight and I'd lift off the throttle. Thinking the same may useful when Senton begins speed trials. In Senton's case both coming and going with the out run and back run.

Thanks for looking in guys. Cheers. 'AC'