problem with clutch bell HELP

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yettymonster

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have a thunder tiger 1/8 off road pro version competition buggy and it was fine yesterday until i throttled it and the engine was screaming but not going anywhere so i tightened a few screws that was loose and it worked. I took my buggy out today and it wasn't moving anywhere i no what the problem is but dont no how to fix it. The cogs are together perfectly but the clutch bell cylinder isnt connected to the cog so all its doing is spinning but not turning the cogs so my wheels are not spinning at all. What do i do

You need to inspect your clutch and your clutch springs. If all is well then you need to make sure the mesh between the "cogs" or as we call it spur gear and clutch bell is correct. You can set the mesh by taking a piece of notebook paper and put it between the gears before you tighten down the engine. Then remove the paper, take out one screw at a time, put some loctite on the screws and then make sure the screws are all tight. If you're unsure on how to do the above, youtube is your friend.

the clutch bell cylinder isnt connected to the cog so all its doing is spinning but not turning the cogs so my wheels are not spinning at all. What do i do

I'm not familiar with the term "cogs" in this situation...it that the clutch shoes or gears? If you engine is screaming and the clutch bell is not turning your clutch shoes are hung up...installed backwards maybe? If the clutch bell is turning but the spur gear is not you either stripped the spur gear or the engine has moved away from the spur gear.

Which screws did you tighten yesterday to get it to move?

Some of the Thunder Tigers use a 2 piece clutch bell (separate bell with interchangeable bell gears) similar to a 4Tech. If that’s the case, you will need to figure out why the gear is loose on the bell. Some are threaded and others use a grub screw, while others use a compression washer. Should be simple to figure out once you remove the bell assembly.

Well theres 2 cogs as i call them and they separated and all i done was pushes the engine closer and tightened the screws so the cogs were touching but on the clutch bell the cylinder is spinning like crazy but the cogs are not moving, i tryed to loosen the screw on the cog but when i turn the screw it pulls my pull start string so it wont tighten or loosen undo

---------- Post added at 5:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:04 PM ----------

How do i upload pictures

Last edited:
spur gear

The big gold cylinder is the bit that spins but the small bit on the right of that stays still and the picture is not my rc its off of google

Attachments

• nitro.gear.mesh.jpg
    nitro.gear.mesh.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Looks like Snook had it right must be a two piece clutch bell, follow his advice.

You need to inspect your clutch and your clutch springs. If all is well then you need to make sure the mesh between the "cogs" or as we call it spur gear and clutch bell is correct. You can set the mesh by taking a piece of notebook paper and put it between the gears before you tighten down the engine. Then remove the paper, take out one screw at a time, put some loctite on the screws and then make sure the screws are all tight. If you're unsure on how to do the above, youtube is your friend.

You mentioned competition series buggy so I'm guessing it's a EB-4? If that's the case than I agree with what srusinek mentioned. First make sure you have the proper gear mesh between the clutch bell and center differential gear. If the problem persists, thoroughly inspect your clutch assembly.
Check the clutch nut that holds the flywheel /clutch assembly to the crankshaft. Also check the condition of the clutch shoes and springs.

If all checks out then there's a possibility the center differential is at fault. Although its unusual for them to malfunction, it does happen from time to time and they are cheap to replace if need be.

Last edited:
Back