Pre Break-In Checks/Maintainance

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainNapalm

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am eagerly awaiting the arrival my first nitro rc, a Losi 8ight T 2.0 RTR.

Although the main focus on a new nitro seems to be the break in of the engine, are there any checks or maintenance that need doing beforehand?

I have read of some people putting locktight on specific nuts. Warming mill with hairdryer or heatgun. etc.

Also, I wish to mark bottom dead center before i begin the break in. Will I cause any damage if i spin the flywheel with my finger to an engine that hasn't been run before, or should i put some after run oil or WD40 in first.

Is there anything other that you do?

You can find BDC without after run oil, no impact to the engine. But after-run can't hurt things either so you might as well use it first just for insurance. Loc-tite any metal-metal screws. You may also want to consider using loc-tite on any of the nylon nuts, especially on the suspension parts, since the nylon can wear or loosen up so the loc-tite will keep the metal threading of the nut secured.

I would also recommend checking your arms, steering, hinge pins, etc for binding and reaming out or adjusting as necessary to minimize setup weirdness or handling gremlins.

The RTR comes with 7-7-7 in the diffs out of the box so you may want to change that to suit your driving style or needs. The use Losi diff oil (obviously) so the quality is good.

Hope you like the new toy!

+1 on what Amoeba said =p

the only two things that i can say is that I'm jealous that you got a losi 8ight t 2.o(very good truck=p)and hope yu like your new truck

also don't open your engine if you don't know what your doing =p.I did and i forgot to do somthing and i had to buy a new engine.IThe stupid thing i did was that i forgot to line up a pin to my sleeve:(

Back