Pit boxes

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aMawds

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
So I got a cheap RTR buggy to see if I'd enjoy nitro racing. The answer is obvious. I'm hooked. I'm a budget racer so don't expect me to be running any rig that cost me over 400 bucks anytime soon. But I did decide very quickly that having space to expand would be an absolute MUST. I needed tools, space for tools, tires, space for tires, you see the common denominator. So I bought a 50 dollar rolling tool box from Fred Meyer. I'll just shut up and post pics because lets face it, that's what this thread is going to be about.

For starters, this is what I was carrying EVERYTHING in. Ignore what's in it now. I was going to convert it into a charge station / transmitter holder but quickly realized I was just bored because I run nitro and can easily carry enough batteries to make it a week without needing a charger:

IMG_20140314_183117_994_zpsd5ff3691.jpg

So here's what I bought:

IMG_20140314_183156_720_zps22920b01.jpg

Bottom drawer with plenty of spare parts for the buggy and truggy, not even a third of the way full:

IMG_20140314_183212_682_zpseb047ed1.jpg

"Fluids" drawer which will be full of shock oils and diff oils. Plenty of space I'd say:

IMG_20140314_183244_050_zps742abbbb.jpg

The neat little pop out "small parts" organizer. Plenty of room in here:

IMG_20140314_183354_460_zps2317bc6c.jpg

The "Angry M" logo behind the organizer. It's a modified version of the Mazda "M" and I had it laying around from a Miata build so why not:

IMG_20140314_183411_957_zpse24e0a1b.jpg

Lid storage. Glow ignitors, double sided tape, razor blade, sharpie, receiver batteries etc:

IMG_20140314_183428_023_zpsfe13f5fa.jpg

Top flipped open showing the lift out tool tray:

IMG_20140314_183451_558_zpsaef1009c.jpg

Underneath the tool tray, plenty of room for my bump box. Considering carrying the box separately and using this area for tires as it holds a full spare set of truggy and buggy tires perfectly:

IMG_20140314_183502_656_zpsab1f05c1.jpg

Haven't figured out a clean way to cram any fuel bottles in. I can toss a quart bottle and a pit bottle on top of the spare parts but that's a dirty way to do it, considering how clean everything else is. Not sure what to do about that. I'm now just trying to cut down on things I have to carry out the door. I want to get a bag for the buggy and truggy, and I may be able to stuff fuel in there. One of the biggest limitations though is what I drive to my track:

IMG_20130422_213104_237_zps73c5315c.jpg

So there's my show and tell. What are you racers bringing to the track? Lets see some pics! :D :first_place:

Last edited:
I like that chest man, nice!...if you have any tackle box dividers they will work well for ya, try and keep the fluid bottles upright if possible,....nice acoustic I jam one myself along with a 5 string bass

Nice box man! I gotta get one myself. I spent all my money on the buggys and never have for a nice box. Will be getting one soon lol

So I got a cheap RTR buggy to see if I'd enjoy nitro racing. The answer is obvious. I'm hooked. I'm a budget racer so don't expect me to be running any rig that cost me over 400 bucks anytime soon.

Hey man, nothing wrong with that. Make the most of what you got and when you're ready to upgrade you'll appreciate it much more. I'd rather someone drive and maintain a 'budget' race machine, vs these guys that have 30 shelf-queens sitting around doing nothing - that's for sure!

So there's my show and tell. What are you racers bringing to the track? Lets see some pics! :D :first_place:
I try to carry light to the track, as I hate wrenching there. I know it's odd and most guys spend 8-12 hours wrenching at their pit but I just get too distracted. If we are practicing we'll normally bring 3-4 vehicles and minimum tools needed. If an actual race then you don't want to know as I bring the kitchen sink. ;-)

Below is the caddy I have with me in the actual pits. (Nice thread topic, BTW)
[URL=http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/mylittlepony/media/Pit_bag_zpsec0a9a9b.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag196/mylittlepony/Pit_bag_zpsec0a9a9b.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

I thought about the fluids being on their side, but those bottles seem to seal up tight. I put them in that drawer a week ago. Not a drip. Hopefully it doesn't become an issue because it's all I could think of using that drawer for! :D

AE has a good bottle/cap design....never had any leaks. The TLR shock oil caps on the other hand...ugh - but I like the oil better than AE (for shocks at least).

Last edited:
Yeah if your fuel bottle leaks you'll have more problems than just the mess. Keep it air tight and out of direct light for long periods. (I've learned the hard way.)

Yeah the fuel hasn't found a home yet. Just been carrying it separately and setting it on the passenger floor of my car. I fill the quart bottle and use that to fill my pit bottle. I keep the gallon in my car in case I decide to run more than a quart that day. Last time I ran two quarts, but I was there from about 9 am to 4 pm.

Most guys use a hauler like this:
ptk-8000_2.jpg

Thought about getting one once, but as noted I just can't spend 8-12 hours at the track and so it would be a little overkill. I've learned over time the bare necessities I need...as an example I don't bring shock/diff oils with me.....and if I ever needed it, I'd just buy/beg/borrow. ;-)

Yeah I was thinking about eliminating the oils all together, but I like the benefits. For example, I have my inventory with me. If I decide I want to change diff fluids for the next track day but don't remember if I have enough of that weight, I can just open a drawer and look. If not, buy it and toss it in the box. I know, splitting hairs here ;) But I just changed the shock oils in the buggy, and it was nice just setting the buggy on top of the box and opening a drawer to grab the fluid I needed, rather than negotiating around the box, going downstairs, and grabbing a bottle from where I used to keep them. Again, splitting hairs. But if it wasn't holding those fluids, that drawer would probably have all the inserts removed and I'd be wiring it for a charger. Definitely don't need that either ;)

Come on guys, I want to see some other set ups! Some of you have entire trailers for crying out loud! :D

I just got one those P8 Protek hauler a few days back............... NOT IMPRESSED (I'm still a bit unhappy about it). Over 200 US, w/ shipping and what you get are cardboard cabinets that I just can't see standing the test of time & shelves are hard to operate (they ride on velcro'ed supports!!). Overall, a bit flimsy and I don't feel comfortable loading this thing up w/ my expensive gear out of fear of hauler failure.

If I could reverse time, I'd do exactly what aMawds did ... great looking setup that makes sense structurally and financially.

Cheers,

Revo, it's never too late! But that protek box is supposed to be plastics, not cardboard. Regardless, you'd take a loss but it would be easy to sell

The protek cardboard inserts r made from a plastic composite. The cardboard inserts look to be completed / sturdy boxes but r actually folded at the ends and stuck together by a double sided small piece of tape plus a plastic cap over edges in front and back.

The protek cardboard inserts r made from a plastic composite. The cardboard inserts look to be completed / sturdy boxes but r actually folded at the ends and stuck together by a double sided small piece of tape plus a plastic cap over edges in front and back.

Gotcha. I'm assuming the issue might be with heat from the sun + our fuels possibly causing the double sided tape to fail. I could definitely see that becoming a problem quick.

I have the almost identical box, with slide up handle and wheels. I think mine is a Stanley.
ucket.com%2Falbums%2Fx219%2Falexmawdsley%2FALEXMAWDSLEY-PC%2FIMG_20140314_183156_720_zps22920b01.png

I once did a TOTAL exterior restoration for a guy, including the top, on a 1978 Fiat Spyder.
Spent the better part of the summer of '99 on it and lost my ass big time.
Not sure what year yours is, but I'm gonna' have nightmares
since I was reminded of it.