piston locking tool

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mtx1

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I never used one, i have heard some people say they will not use one as it could do damage. I been working on my 3.3 traxxas motor and i can take the fly wheel off and put it on and tighten it down with out a locking tool. I just seen some guys use a grip around the flywheel . I wonder if there not good why are they for sale. I see them from 6-10.00 and they go down the glow plug whole and you then tighten the bolt and call it a day. Sounds good but i think i like the idea of using a towel over the fly wheel and then use a grip then use a wrench to tighten the nut . Any one use those locking tools or just hold the fly wheel down like i have done in the past? If any one cares i am building a new motor soon i got my money to get a new motor.

I've always used a pair of channel locks with nylon protectors to do it and have never had a problem ever, I never personally liked the idea of jamming the piston from the top like that

I've always used a pair of channel locks with nylon protectors to do it and have never had a problem ever, I never personally liked the idea of jamming the piston from the top like that

I have done it the same way as you, i seen a video last week and some one used it and they where like you can use this and it keeps you from messing up your flywheel. I think if you hold the flywheel the right way and tighten the nut down it should take a few seconds. I just wanted to see if anyone has used one , i did a search and looks like some people think you can do damage with that tool.

Ya it seems like with the tool there would be some stress on the connecting rod bushings and pin being that all force from tightening would be directed at the piston insted of zero force with the other method......I have flywheels that have been around for 15 years at least and there still in decent shape

Ya it seems like with the tool there would be some stress on the connecting rod bushings and pin being that all force from tightening would be directed at the piston insted of zero force with the other method......I have flywheels that have been around for 15 years at least and there still in decent shape

cool, i will stick to what i have done in the past.

I would never use one.

Either pliers on the flywheel, or I use my 1/4" drive impact (no need to lock anything down that way)

I would never use one.

Either pliers on the flywheel, or I use my 1/4" drive impact (no need to lock anything down that way)

It sounded like it could be good then i was thinking do i want to put that much pressure down on that area . I just use a cloth with pliers and tighten the nut down. Traxxas motors are not that much to them, i got a clutch/fly wheel set that will just go right on with out any issue. stinks i could not save my flywheel/clutch. With the money saved i got a new fuel tank and tubing. Kinda happy about that i think the priming button on the one i have now is causing me issues. It is not sealing to well and ya know that might of been causing the crazy idle i was having.

Ya those primer buttons were notorious for air leaks, but even the traxxas tank itself is a pos, causes a halve tank lean out

Ya those primer buttons were notorious for air leaks, but even the traxxas tank itself is a pos, causes a halve tank lean out

i am throwing mine away, i have a new one on its way. Whats funny i had to push the damn button 20 times to get fuel to the carb. I cleaned it and i said why am i wasting my time? got a new tank and lines for 5.00( no primer)

If you want to keep the primer the MGT primer bulbs are pretty good. I run them on several rigs. And a flywheel wrench is what I use to remove and tighten my flywheel's down.

If you want to keep the primer the MGT primer bulbs are pretty good. I run them on several rigs. And a flywheel wrench is what I use to remove and tighten my flywheel's down.

i seen those ones i think duratrax makes them, my sc10gt i was thinking of getting the primer bulb. When i prime my motor now i have to steep on the back tires as i pull the chord. I tell ya i seen people yank to hard and tear there chord. No not me lol but yea i might get 3 of them. I have another rc i am getting tomorrow. let me message you.