Pipe Mufflers

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Willis

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So i was just wondering if taking the muffler/restrictor cone thing out of the inside of a pipe would make much difference in terms of performance. As far as I'm aware the restrictor is only there to build up back pressure which is directed through the fuel tank to prime the car, since there is a Venturi in the carb which will do most of the work once the engine is running. I understand it would require a retune, but I was just wondering if anyone had tried it and had noticed any actual performance results to make it worthwhile. I was initially thinking of trying it with my stock savage pipe. :)

I also haven't tried it.....strange that yours came installed, the last new savage I purchased had the cone come with, but in a plastic bag.

I know the stock pipe is screwed together, but I also read somewhere that it's fusion welded, or sonic welded...not sure which? The point being that if you take it apart there's a chance that the pipe won't work the way it is suppose to, or properly.

I bought it second hand, so I'm not sure if it came pre-installed or not... But if there's a chance it will break it and stop working I think I'll wait till I'm ready for a new one before I try it

Had a maxx that I removed the cone from inside the pipe. Improved performance but I had to re-tune the engine. It had to be richer, either from the loss of back pressure or the increase of air flow. I did have to use some high temp sealant to "glue" the pipe back together and get a good seal again($3.47 at wal-mart).

Did it have any effect on fuel consumption? Since I imagine it would drink a fair bit more...

Little more fuel but not bad. Only shortened the run time by a couple minutes.

Back