pinched too far......

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayerbasher46

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
playing around with a sleeve pincher with an old but still usable sleeve, i went too far, has anyone resurrected one with heat,baking, or any other method when you pinched too much?:hehe:

lmbo, we are slow at work, so i was piddling today, heating it up and cooling it down, while sliding piston up to tdc, actually did get it to tdc at probably 350 degrees or so, when cool the piston goes at least an 1/8th inch further than it did, no scratches on the chrome or piston, i figured this wouldnt work, but thought what the heck......

i would try it ...the worst that can happen is that it wont run....i would heat up the engine before attempting to start it to help overcome the tight pinch ...i plan on trying to pinch my own sleeves when they need it

I'm curious and somewhat new to nitro, but how does one go about repinching a sleeve? Also I imagine it could only be done a few times before the sleeve is worn to thin?

I'm not 100% sure the sleeve lining wears as much as the piston itself does. The sleeves are typically chrome lined, which is hard stuff. The pistons are aluminum, which isn't hard. I think the pistons wear more than the sleeve does. When they get pinched, it's only a few micrometers. If you have a good piston/sleeve set (high quality materials), it can be done 4+ times. But, I'd guess too far in and you'd start getting slop on the wrist pin holes in the piston as well.

I know guys like osrocket and rayaracing can relieve the pinch of an engine when they overdo it. When I have ray do a pinch, I ask for a mild pinch as I use pull starts, so it may not hold as long, but it saves wear and tear on the engine.

Hence the acronym ABC construction. I just wasn't thinking it all the way through. It is unfortunate that these cars don't use piston rings like 1:1's do. It would make fixing compression issues much quicker and cheaper! I would much rather pay a few bucks for some 1" piston rings than 80 some odd dollars fore Traxxas's piston sleeve combo!