Picco .26 Max issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CupraR

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Guys. Think my Max engine is failing.

Had a problem today where I couldn't start it, turned out a tooth had snapped off one of the EZ Start gears.

So as I'd stripped it off for that I had a check around.

I seem to have a fair bit of play between the conrod and the pin of the crankshaft. If I put the engine to TDC, my flywheel when turning it is "notchy". I can turn it slightly before the piston moves again.

I'm pretty sure I need a new conrod, but just wanted to ask on here. The pinch is still amazingly strong. I've run about 4.5ltrs through it so far.

If I do indeed have a problem, what would normally cause this?

Guys. Think my Max engine is failing.

Had a problem today where I couldn't start it, turned out a tooth had snapped off one of the EZ Start gears.

So as I'd stripped it off for that I had a check around.

I seem to have a fair bit of play between the conrod and the pin of the crankshaft. If I put the engine to TDC, my flywheel when turning it is "notchy". I can turn it slightly before the piston moves again.

I'm pretty sure I need a new conrod, but just wanted to ask on here. The pinch is still amazingly strong. I've run about 4.5ltrs through it so far.

If I do indeed have a problem, what would normally cause this?

Figured I'd reply to this thread since I've had a similar experience. I noticed that it was very hard to pull start if the piston was stuck at TDC. After crashing the truck pretty hard, I figured I'd dive in and see what was up with the sticking engine. I noticed the exact same notchy feeling at TDC and visually noticeable play between the conrod and the crankshaft. I disassembled the engine and noticed that the connecting rod bearing was rotated about 180 degrees from where it should be. The oil hole of the bronze bearing was towards the bottom of the conrod. The conrod is obviously trashed. I would love to know what would cause this. The engine has been through maybe 1.5 gallons of fuel. The piston and sleeve still look great, and there is still a very tight pinch. Also, where is the cheapest place to get a new conrod? My LHS wants $60-something.

I got a new conrod from eBay. About £30.

Last edited: