Phins Fan AX10"ish" Winter Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phins Fan

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I've been building for a couple years now but never had a thread. Constructive criticism is appreciated as most of my builds come from the noggin as opposed to doing any real research so I may be way off with some of my ideas. Anywhoo heres what I got going:

I have a few AX10s with the standard chassis but have decided to try a conversion to a more conventional chassis type utilizing a TVP setup. My only tools available is a drillpress, bandsaw, belt/disc sander, and tons of self medicating courtesy of Mr. Bluemoon:burp::

.032" aluminum twin vertical plates with some different setup locations for suspension and linkages:

DSCF8721_zps9dd3fd71.jpg

Had some white delrin lyin around so fabbed the skid:

DSCF8722_zps4e110d59.jpg

The chassis supports are a bit beefy (1/4" barstock) and may be swapped later for a lighter material:

DSCF8723_zps2ef87c08.jpg

And after a bit of assembly heres the chassis:

DSCF8725_zps7a2a0644.jpg

DSCF8724_zps80017059.jpg

A typical SCX chassis is 2.5" wide. I'm making this 3" wide with the thought of stability in mind. More to come as the parts start rolling in

Looks good so far, keep us posted.

If you decide different on that chassis I have a comp chassis from EEM that I loved on my ax when she was built. Lookin good so far

Thanx for the offer Killer but I prefer the 1 off, straight from the noggin, kinda thinkin that makes some of these rigs that much more interesting.

Anywhoo - I got the tranny assembled courtest of Eddys bearings and HR aluminum gears (I hardcoated them to .002" for super reliability):

DSCF8731_zpsfcc359a7.jpg

I'm going to use the stock driveshafts for mock up and eventually go with a set of MIP's.

Also got my shocks in and built. I went with the Gmade TS01 based solely on scale look vs performance (to a point). They assembled easily and I like the idea of oiless and internal spring:

DSCF8733_zps331522f1.jpg

And heres where were at to date:

DSCF8734_zps638665f1.jpg

I have the new axle housings due in on Tuesday which will get the full treatment.

Back