Painting RC Boat Hulls

• Thread starter Penguin Fart Racing
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penguin Fart Racing

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Flying
  4. Boating
Need some help/suggestions ----》paint and application techniques primarily for Boats. Have a teakwood hulled 370-Class sailboat kit to build, a DUMAS CHRIS-CRAFT#1244 to be restored, two plastic-hulled vintage boats all in need of paint on their hulls. Bought my first AIRBRUSH [ IWATA CN https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-H...EO-CN-Gravity-Feed-Airbrushing-Kit/p/80794884 ] and a HARBOR FREIGHT "BRUSH" https://www.harborfreight.com/34-and-3-oz-airbrush-kit-62294.html tk use painting my model cars and boats. What kind of paint should I use for wood hulls, plastic hulls, and road RPVS. Oh, what might you suggest for the 1:18 scale truck body I fabbed it out of uncooked spaghetti ( no; serious a out this ! ) ?

I would think any paint will be ok, but make sure you lay down a few coats of clear. Enamel would be my choice, just because it is a lot more durable. But real boats use an epoxy clear I believe. At least that is what my dad painted his boat with.

any paint will not work.you will have to seal the teak b4 adding paint theres plenty of marine grade paint sold in 2 oz can and quarts. i use my Pache airbrush

I would think any paint will be ok, but make sure you lay down a few coats of clear. Enamel would be my choice, just because it is a lot more durable. But real boats use an epoxy clear I believe. At least that is what my dad painted his boat with.
Clear first. Thanks!
any paint will not work.you will have to seal the teak b4 adding paint theres plenty of marine grade paint sold in 2 oz can and quarts. i use my Pache airbrush
Thanks for the caution on sealing a Teak hull. Will pick up a copy of https://www.woodenboat.com/current-issue-woodenboat-magazine and get info and contacts first. Before I do all that though, this tired old wreck of an RC boat will need to have its latex housepaint and window calk removed. Not looking forward to this messy arduous task :-(

Last edited:
thats a easy task if you customize the right tool..add a little heat from a butane lighter not much.. inside of hull should also be sealed id add tube caulk to all below water line corners edges ,,

Two part epoxy paint and your air brush.
Two part epoxy, a hair dryer, a plumbers brush.
Mix a good amount of slow set two part epoxy, pour onto the wood, heat with hair dryer this turns the epoxy to a water like state, brush around so only a thin layer.
Let dry, water sand.
Sand most of it off to expose the beautiful wood. It with the heat, the wood wicks the epoxy into the wood so when you sand it down, only sand enough to expose the beautiful wood. If you want to stain it or finish it with a gloss type finish.
If you want to paint the wood do the same.
This will seal the wood and makes a great layer for two part primer.

Last edited:
Back