Overheating bad! 300-450*F

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevieterry

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I took my truck out today, it is running at like 320+ after about 3 minutes of run time. I saw it go to 450+ when I had the body on the truck.

I didn't have the body on the truck any other time so it wasn't a ventilation issue.
I was looking around and they said if I have air in my lines then that could cause it.

Well... I have a lot of air bubbles in my lines that I can see. What could be the problem?

Sounds like you have an air leak somewhere and a bad one cause your engine to run WAY LEAN, start with replaceing fuel the lines, check the seal on your tank cap, and i would take the eingine off and seal it very well.

watch these they may help you

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ3WcPoa1DY&feature=relmfu"]Nitro Engine Air Leak Detection -- Vid 12 How to Tune Series - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4WbETNYa88&feature=fvwrel"]Signs that you are Lean, Rich, and TUNED! -- Vid 10 How to Tune Series - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rncdYL-PBL4&feature=relmfu"]How to Seal A Nitro Engine -- Vid 13 How to Tune Series - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks guys sealing the engine right now and replacing the lines. I forgot which line goes where lol. Does the carb line go to the bottom of the tank then the exhaust line go to the top?

Yep u got the lines right.

That's correct.
If you still have overheating problems, your settings are too lean. If your LSN is too lean it will heat up quickly, and the HSN setting will not help it.
Start it and just let it idle to find out what temperature it stays at. That helps determine if it's a LSN setting.

That's correct.
If you still have overheating problems, your settings are too lean. If your LSN is too lean it will heat up quickly, and the HSN setting will not help it.
Start it and just let it idle to find out what temperature it stays at. That helps determine if it's a LSN setting.

Thanks again man.

How long do I need to let this stuff dry before I start the engine? I used the Ultra Copper sealant

Any suggestions on sealing the gas tank lid? It has a small leak around the seal when I blow on it really hard, not sure if that's enough to let air into the lines though.

check the orange gasket on your tank lid, you can adjust it to make it seal better.

I can't find the green slime stuff that he has, can I just use silicone on the high speed and low speed needle?

you only need to seal the back plate, and the carb! use the nut on the tank lid to tighten it and make it seal better. if i remember correctly this is a brand new tmaxx only a few days old ? you should not have to seal anything on a new motor but the tank seal. but if your having that many air leak problems seal the carb and the back plate ! check to see if your lines are tight on the tank (bottom) and top line that goes to the exhaust. i use zip ties on every line on my truck, that's just me, others just put the lines on the nipples and leave them be. are you using a fuel filter ? even tough the video shows sealing the HSN and LSN i have never done that on my maxx, so i could not really tell you if silicon is safe to use on those ! keep working at it ! you will get it running right in due time !!!! this is a trial and error hobby...more error than anything...and that's how we all learn !!! LOL !

Last edited:
I can't find the green slime stuff that he has, can I just use silicone on the high speed and low speed needle?

The green slime part num. Is ASC1105. It's called (shock lube) found at hobbytown USA.

you only need to seal the back plate, and the carb! use the nut on the tank lid to tighten it and make it seal better. if i remember correctly this is a brand new tmaxx only a few days old ? you should not have to seal anything on a new motor but the tank seal. but if your having that many air leak problems seal the carb and the back plate ! check to see if your lines are tight on the tank (bottom) and top line that goes to the exhaust. i use zip ties on every line on my truck, that's just me, others just put the lines on the nipples and leave them be. are you using a fuel filter ? even tough the video shows sealing the HSN and LSN i have never done that on my maxx, so i could not really tell you if silicon is safe to use on those ! keep working at it ! you will get it running right in due time !!!! this is a trial and error hobby...more error than anything...and that's how we all learn !!! LOL !

Yes it's 3 days old. I'm pretty sure it was leaking around where the exhaust bolts to the motor, it was always covered in something there, not sure if it was gas or not, also the O-ring on it was very loose when I took it off to seal it. It had to of been leaking from some where because there were bubbles in my gas line all the time and my engine was running extremely hot. I can't think of anything else.

I sealed the exhaust and the back plate, I'm going to give it a run tomorrow and see how it does, hopefully it wont leak any more.

EDIT: Also I sealed the tank lines.

So my brand new glow plug igniter wont charge at all. I had to go buy a new one, then I got home and my plug was blown. I took the whole car to them and got them to check everything and tune it.

It's running great, the temp is a little high, running at about 230-240. The gas tank lid is still leaking a little, they adjusted it all the way and it still does so idk.

Other than that I should be good to go.

I would seal a brand new motor, why not? Save u time later,not having to take it off and seal it or chase an air-leak eventually. Do it from the getgo and then u will know IMO.

Back