OS TG tuning- building tips

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fstrnu

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
what are some of the tuning trick people use on the OS TG .12
I am going to run a couple of oval races with a Limited Late Model this summer and the rules state stock engine.limited pipe. I know that the really fast guys APPEAR stock but have alot more rip than others.

There are no secret tips to tuning an engine other than the basics which applies to every nitro out there. If you have a bad tune, reset needles to factory and start over with the typical rigamaroll tuning steps.

Also, a fresh motor will pretty much always outperform a used one, they do lose compression over time/use. The correct gearing can also make or break your race, gearing is just as important if not MORE so than anything else. If you think they are modding anything...ask. I don't know anything about your track or it's rules. The RC community is almost always helpful and most guys wont hesitate to share their rigs setup.

Without modding all you have is a good tune to work with and good old fashioned driver skills!

Do you know how to tune properly?

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

OH and settings your diffs for the track also helps, controls wheel spin/traction. And let us not forget tires, again a very important key in racing.... Also suspension, fast and flat, stiffen it up to reduce body roll which in turn improves traction as will sway bars.

I'm still learning the finer end of tuning. I'll get there

Well some engines are harder to tune that others, some are harder to keep tuned. There's pretty much 3 basic steps that apply to all nitros, and to retune always set needles to factory which is in your engines manual or can be found online. Be sure not to crank the needle hard, they are fragile. Once u feel resistance stop then count out the turns according to the manual and your at factory default.

1. Set the carbs idle screw gap to about 1mm, take off your air filter and eyeball it. Now this can vary slightly with some engines so look it up but 1mm is common and a good starting point. (Be sure you turn on Electrics and squeeze the throttle in you turn idle clockwise or u can damage it).

2. Make some wide open runs leaning out (clockwise) the HSN by 1/8 increments each pass and pay attention to acceleration and top speed. Every 1/8 turn with improve speed. Once you find the point where you turned it 1/ 8 and didn't see a difference, turn it back (counter clockwise) 1/8 and leave it. That's pretty much the sweet spot usually.

3. Your idle may be high at the point, do NOT use the idle screw to adjust your idle, you'll lose your tune. To idle down richen (counter clockwise) the LSN, or to idle up lean it (clockwise).

Pretty much the basics steps to tuning any nitro. Its a good starting point anyhow. I also suggest getting a hand held temp gauge and make several wide open runs then check temps, again read manual for optimum running temps cause leaning too much can overheat it. However try not to "tune to temperature" as its not a really good means but it helps to check and save u from frying it. If its too hot richen (counter clockwise) the HSN another 1/8 and check again.

this is pretty much standard stuff most of the people here probably do too.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 8:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:36 PM ----------

Oh one more often overlooked thing. Outdoor temps and your elevation. A high elevation doesn't have as much O2 in the air and may need compensation, air temp same thing. Cold air contains more oxygen (O2) than hot air so figure, cold out, you may be able to lean it more... just watch temps!

---------- Post added at 8:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:43 PM ----------

Wait sorry...cold air means you'd richen a little since there's a higher concentration of o2 lol, sorry.

great info! i have been tuning more for temp. that's where i am going wrong.
I'll redo the tune when the weather clears

Yeah that's not the best idea. It can run hot and run like crap at the same time lol. Checking temps should always be just a precaution. Some people do tune to temps however but I figure they are experienced enough to follow the typical rules by habit anyhow, or just doing it wrong lol.