Orion Servos

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I've been looking around at good servos lately as I have about half of my kits that need good servo upgrades. The 4 smaller 1/10 scale that I want upgraded servos for I'm going with Savoxs because they have servos with great speed and enough torque for my smaller kit at a decent price but when looking for good high torque servos for my Savage X I noticed on Horizon Hobbies page they have a Team Orion Servo that is 319oz/in and .15Sec for abotu $90. All the other name brand servos I can find with 300+ torque are all $120-$199 bucks.

I have 2 questions.

1) Are Team Orion servos good quality?
2) Is there another alternative for a 300+oz/in servo that is less that $120 bucks?

Hmmm, I've not. Under $100, cs170 is 333oz and is great, run around $90 shipped alot of places.

I've seen 7950's go for $120-ish on ebay and their 486oz at 7.2 or 403 at 6v.

Check out Savox. 500oz for $75!

I have not used this model but the 1258TG I had was nice. I haven't heard anything bad about Savox yet either.

Hmmmmm....IDK how I didnt see the Savox 500oz one before. I have a 1257 and a 1258 and they are awesome servos, I'm sure this one will be too! I could have sworn I looked at every servo on Savoxs website but I never saw this one. Thanks Randy and thanks SNG for your suggestions as well!

Would you be using the 500oz in your lst xxl e? I'm looking at upgrading my servos and was interested in this one. If it is for the xxl would you run 2 servos or have switched to the single steering servo?

I'm running 2 PPP servos in both of mine. 244oz/in and .14 sec for a total of 488oz/in. I picked them both up for $46 bucks plus $5 shipping. If you bought one of the 500's then you wouldnt need 2.

No I'm still looking, I like to do all my upgrading in the down months (winter) unless I break something then I try to replace immediately. What is a ppp servo?

Power plus pro servos! I just googled it they have mixed reviews and are rebranded tower pro from what I've read and can be bought cheaper if you find the tower pro ones.

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:59 PM ----------

Well cheaper then the $50 I've seen them for. The tower pro ones can be found for around $13.

CheapServoMan on ebay sells them. Last I looked 2 days ago they could be had for $23+$5 S&H. They are not rebranded Tower Pros. I have had Tower Pros in the past both the MG995s and the MG996Rs. The MG995s blow, The MG996s are ok considering they can be had for about $7 ea but I can assure you the feel and performance of the PPP servos are superior to the aforementioned servos. I own 5 PPP servos and you can tell they are better quality just buy hooking one up to a spare RX and feeling it turn in your hand and doing the same with an MG996R. The PPPs are quick and smooth unlike the slower and very noisy Tower Pro servos. for $30 bucks or less (He is known for price swings anywhere between 20-40 bucks ea. Why he does this I have no clue.) I would recommend them. I would only recommend the MG996Rs if you are desperate and really low on money. I do not recommend using the MG995s even if someone gave you one.

The PPP servos are roguhly 244oz/in and .15-.16 seconds.
I say roughly cuz I dont have anyway to measure it. 244oz is whats advertised. I
have no reason to doubt its off by much as they seem fairly strong. They are
advertised at .13 or .14 speed but they seem a tad slower than that to me.

The MG996Rs are roughly 152oz/in and .16-.17
I think these are advertised at 152.8oz and .14 speed. Torque is probably close
but the speed seems slower than the advertised .14sec

The MG995s had centering problems and some other glitches that make them totally undesirable IMO.

I'm not sure what I'm going to get yet. I still got lots of time to decide, I've shelved my nitro for the winter. What I need is a servo for my vta car I want decent speed and I don't think I need to much torque. I plan on buying local as I don't like paying any import fees. ( although if USPS ships it I don't seem to pay any)

If you need good speed and not a lot of Torque look at either the Savox SC1257TG or the Savox SC1258TG. Thats what I'm getting for my 1/10 scales and my Losi 8ight Buggy.

Back