Opinions wanted

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimmie28

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
Does anyone have some real world experience with a redcat gen7. I'm itching for a new truck but these are about the only option in my current budget range of about 230. My wife decided to be nice and let me get a new truck. I welcome all thoughts, opinions, and gripes about it.

@Doom! I have the gatekeeper but I don't like the reedy electronics. I ended up removing the reedy motor and replaced it with a 12 turn. Even though the gatekeeper came with a claimed 14 turn it seemed too slow. Nothing against them overall it ended up going to the wife after I modified her raptor hardbody to fit that chassis since it didn't have body posts. Still working on the rear mounts. Overall after the motor swap its been a great truck so I'll definitely keep that in mind thanks for the recommendation
If you got spare bumpers I'll take them off your hands @Doom! 🤣

Last edited:
The Gen 7 is a really good truck, tons of available parts, and easy to mod.
I honestly can't comment on the electronics because I upgraded right from the start to
a Holmes Hobbies motor and HW ESC and also a Savox servo.
IMHO Redcat has killer crawlers but I won't purchase a basher ever again.
If it were me, I would buy a used roller from ebay and throw in your own goodies.