Older model Savage 4.6 won’t shift?!?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smiddy

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Hey, I have an older model savage 4.6, i got it used a few months a go and finally got around to tuning it, I have it fairly well tuned but it won’t hit 2nd gear!! I turned the gear set screw 4 turns back from closed for a starting point then I did 1/2 turns each way for a couple full turns and still not shifting? What could be the problem?
Thanks for any help!

Check your slipper, slipper pad and clutch in the clutch bell. If your slipper is slipping bad, when it does engage 2nd gear, the slipper just slips vs the truck going faster and the motor dropping in RPM. Once it slips, it glazes the pad, then it slips worse and worse until it gets so hot it melts the center out of the spur. Similar issue applies if the clutch shoes are worn down to nubs, got oil or grease on them.

Could also be the 2 speed adjuster/pawl is damaged and not allowing the pawl to kick out. Depending on how old it is, they used to have a really weak peg inside that would snap off. Would usually cause severe damage to the 2 speed gears in the trans when that happened though and it would bind up due to the chunks banging around in there. They updated it quite a few years back to have a more solid plate/piece for the pawl to hammer into. Before the plate existed, we would put in a second pin (came stock with 1 pin) for the pawl to engage into, so it wouldn't slam into gear as hard.

Could also be that whomever had it before you could have put a second grub screw over the 2 speed adjuster grub screw to keep it from loosening on it's own and your not adjusting anything, your only turning the screw that locks the actual adjustment grub screw.

If it's the post-X version, you should be able to take the top of the transmission off to take the 2 speed gears out without dismantling half the truck. It's a few screws, take the top of the trans off, then remove the 2 speed mechanism to inspect it.

Check your slipper, slipper pad and clutch in the clutch bell. If your slipper is slipping bad, when it does engage 2nd gear, the slipper just slips vs the truck going faster and the motor dropping in RPM. Once it slips, it glazes the pad, then it slips worse and worse until it gets so hot it melts the center out of the spur. Similar issue applies if the clutch shoes are worn down to nubs, got oil or grease on them.

Could also be the 2 speed adjuster/pawl is damaged and not allowing the pawl to kick out. Depending on how old it is, they used to have a really weak peg inside that would snap off. Would usually cause severe damage to the 2 speed gears in the trans when that happened though and it would bind up due to the chunks banging around in there. They updated it quite a few years back to have a more solid plate/piece for the pawl to hammer into. Before the plate existed, we would put in a second pin (came stock with 1 pin) for the pawl to engage into, so it wouldn't slam into gear as hard.

Could also be that whomever had it before you could have put a second grub screw over the 2 speed adjuster grub screw to keep it from loosening on it's own and your not adjusting anything, your only turning the screw that locks the actual adjustment grub screw.

If it's the post-X version, you should be able to take the top of the transmission off to take the 2 speed gears out without dismantling half the truck. It's a few screws, take the top of the trans off, then remove the 2 speed mechanism to inspect it.
Ok great thanks for the info and help! I’ll start with the slipper, just tighten the nut in slipper? What’s the correct setting for that, go right and back off a half turn? I don’t think it’s the pawl cause it’s runs good. just doesn’t get to second gear. I’ll check for the the second screw but it’s in far enough in that I feel of there was a second screw it wound be sticking out more! Thanks again! I’ll get you know!

Ok great thanks for the info and help! I’ll start with the slipper, just tighten the nut in slipper? What’s the correct setting for that, go right and back off a half turn? I don’t think it’s the pawl cause it’s runs good. just doesn’t get to second gear. I’ll check for the the second screw but it’s in far enough in that I feel of there was a second screw it wound be sticking out more! Thanks again! I’ll get you know!
Tighten until the spring is fully compressed, then back it off 1/4 turn.

The pawl will allow it to run fine in first gear. But if it's stuck, it just won't shift no matter what you do.

The pawl will allow it to run fine in first gear. But if it's stuck, it just won't shift no matter what you do.

thanks for the help, I’ll try the spring first, then check out the pawl!

Quick question, should there be grease or lub the gear box, I haven’t opened it yet but when I look in the hole for adjusting it it looks like there is a dark grease in there. Thinking maybe that is stopping the pawl from working properly?

Maybe a little. I know I'd put a tiny bit on the face of the metal->metal gears when assembling along with a drop of 3-in-1 on the OWB in the 2-speed.

Hey, I have an older model savage 4.6, i got it used a few months a go and finally got around to tuning it, I have it fairly well tuned but it won’t hit 2nd gear!! I turned the gear set screw 4 turns back from closed for a starting point then I did 1/2 turns each way for a couple full turns and still not shifting? What could be the problem?
Thanks for any help!
I opened the gear box, there is a lot of grease in side, is this normal, is there a need for so much grease, I think all the grease is preventing the pawl from engaging second gear?
FC1877AA-DEC0-4175-9CED-EF7A996E8831.jpeg

Attachments

• 63EAAE65-E524-41CA-96EA-E2E7F162BA30.jpeg
    63EAAE65-E524-41CA-96EA-E2E7F162BA30.jpeg
    334.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 29D7A686-1E77-483B-9783-AFD83FA62301.jpeg
    29D7A686-1E77-483B-9783-AFD83FA62301.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 63
Hard to see that second photo, very blurry. Since you got it out, now you can take it apart and see what's in it and that the pawl moves when the set screw/spring/ball bearing are removed.
2022-0210-savageX-2-speed-manual.jpg

Clean all the grease out, put a little on the metal to metal gears and leave the rest dry.

Hard to see that second photo, very blurry. Since you got it out, now you can take it apart and see what's in it and that the pawl moves when the set screw/spring/ball bearing are removed.
2022-0210-savageX-2-speed-manual.jpg

Clean all the grease out, put a little on the metal to metal gears and leave the rest dry.
Thanks for the help. Any recommend grease to use?