Old nitro .21 on a Great Vigor Tornado 1/8 buggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAVAGETITAN

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
I bought a complete and clean vintage Great Vigors Tornado 1/8 4wd buggy. Problem is motor is seized up and won't turn. Clutch and drivetrain are AOK. This motor doesn't have any identifying marks outside of a 4 letter embossing that reads (roughly, hard to discern) from top to bottom, B R A T . Now this has the usual old school finned cylinder head that looks like an O.S. , or an OPS. It has that needle adjustment that sticks way out there a throwback to the aircraft style origins of these motors. It is a buggy motor, just don't recognize it.. Any help would be appreciated, as I could fire this up today, if I could free it up. I've flooded the carb and the top end with REM oil in the hopes that over time it might allow it to break free, albeit with force applied.

Pics would help to I'd this engine if you could do it.

Until I get a chance to disassemble this complete buggy, there won't be much chance of getting a pic. The embossing is on the cylinder portion of the block on the side that faces inward towards center of buggy. The motor mounts longitudinally clutch facing forward, exhaust on right side as is the pipe, round exhaust manifold off motor mounting with clear exhaust silicone to pipe. All references to direction taken as from driver position. So the only markings being 4 widely spaced letters that appear to say : B R A T. from top to bottom on left side of cylinder block below cylinder head above mounting flange. It will take considerable disassembly due to linkages, and no spares, so I can't heman anything because if it breaks... I'll get back with a pic if I can, but honestly from the cylinder head it's just like any other you'd see on a old Kyosho Vanning, and the needle adjustment long extended like on a airplane motor. Believe it's a .21 BB.

Understood. Whatever you can supply would be helpful. I can I.D. some 1:1 engines, transmissions and rear ends because of the way they are cast. Perhaps someone here will see what you have and know right off. Def don't break things for the sake of the pics!

I'm going to try to post 2 pics of mounted motor so you can attempt to id it. no promises I'm not computer literate. 1 pic at a time as only 5mb per pic I guess, one successfully made it to the site you'll have to look for it though as I struggling on this end.

If you can get the file on your phone or computer (in sure other devices work as well, posting the pics is quite easy. If you were to scroll down from where I (you) type the message, you'll see an 'upload a file' box. Simply press that and you can search your folders, documents etc... Wherever you store your pics in other words, and chose the file to upload. The final thing is that it will ask you if you want to post a thumbnail or full file. Chose full and up it pops! Then 'post reply'

.21 BB BRAT 006.JPG

did that pic make it? does it show with enough resolution?

.21 BB BRAT 001.JPG

Last edited:
I found this pic of a Hunter. I am posting it so that you may check the engine to see if it is the same. If it is, I will keep it here for you. If not, I will delete the post so as not to confuse.
DSC00441.jpg

It appears that you loaded 3 images. The first did not work. The second 2 are excellent.

OK that is the other version of this buggy might be same motor. My buggy doesn't have a rollcage. Did my pics show?

I believe this is your engine.
royal-21-nitro-engine-kyosho-landjump_1_b75dc5110bf8e5974ca3ab7db15cfa10.jpg

Yes, 2 pics came thru perfectly. If there were 3, it was the first that failed to show

The carb on that motor looks different but the round exhaust and cylinder head look right

The fins on my cylinder head are straight without any curvature and the needle sticks straight out. Do you know how I can zoom on the site to look closer at that pic?

I based my search on the name 'Royal' nitro engines. That name was on some of the 'sister' cars to yours.

That pic of the Hunter w unmounted motor, that has a similar but different motor as the fins on it are shaved all the way around on the outer circumference. On my motor they appear sharp. I'm trying to help, as maybe it can be salvaged but I've got to find out what it is first. Thanks for the help.

If you Click on the pic I posted, it will expand. From there you can stretch it open and get a good look.

The head May have been shaved to fit the kit. It may also be a slightly different year or simply modified by someone during the years. I would imagine that these engines are pretty close to what you've got. Internally, I have no better idea than by outer appearance. I think you're on track now at least. Certainly if this doesn't work for you, I'll be happy to see what else I can find. Let us know. If this does answer your questions, please let us all know how you are making out! There are a good number of us who are into the obscure and the classics!

ok thx I'll try it, mine definitely isn't a royal or the name is hidden, maybe a period knock off?

That could be. It may also be a motor made by royal with different makings to appear as to have been build by another manufacturer as per great vigor's request. I will keep on the hunt then.

The marking, castings etc on the royal compared to the Hunter engine look very similar to me. The carb isn't really a concern for me in iding it as the carb is a bolt on item.

Even in your second pic, the engine casing itself looks very similar. I wish I had an actual computer screen and maybe a program to do some quick measurement comparisons. Maybe someone will step in with that info?

Back