Ok to run without a ESC fan?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
Is it ok to run without an ESC fan? Mine just died. The negative wire pulled out.

160A esc and 13.5 motor. With the fan on, usually stayed under 110. Seen others use no fans so I should be alright? I just ordered my order and forgot to put a fan in the cart. Smh. šŸ¤£
But BeachRC should have them anyways.

Better to get a aluminum fan?

I could steal one from one of my traxxas cars. Same size fan. But the XR10 series has a different plug than the EzRun series. Ez run uses a servo / receiver type plug. the XR10 series runs a some kind of jst plug.

As long as your ESC temps stay low you should be fine.

I've run all kinds of esc .only 1 esc required a fan the reedy ..on there motor but with my gearing..
I dont think esc of these days need a fan

I have seen some 1/10 ESC's go without fans in the stock classes, but never seen a mod motor make it through a race without causing the ESC to thermal, especially on high grip conditions with tire sauce!

Only way to know for sure is test it out... just be sure you have thermal protection enabled!

Yea should be fine. my uncle has a ton of spare fans so I'll stop by tomorrow to steal one. I'll test out if I need a fan or not when at the track. Stealing a fan cause I'm a fan of fans. I want to stay cool šŸ˜Ž šŸ¤£
PXL_20240317_014324960.jpg

My very first Hobbywing EZRun, from 2010, lost its fan years ago. Only 35 amps, and I put that thing through many of mid summer heat RCing sessions without fazing it. Sure, the ESC only has seen 3100~4300kv motors and on a 2wd stadium truck running on medium traction dirt...
20180918_191333.jpg

That little EZRun 35A-SL w/1.5A BEC is one tough little sucker.

My point being: Now I know, and knowing is half the battle.